[SOLVED] Want to upgrade power supply in Dell Optiplex 990, not sure which one I need.

Apr 18, 2020
Dell has been no help. Maybe they are busy dealing with the Corona Virus or something. There are several Dell 990's and I think they are referred to with different terms that I don't understand. I can tell you that the computer I have is approx. 4in.x14.5x16 and I think it is referred to as a DT but not sure it is always referred to as that. Thanks for any help.

Solution
thanks for the pics. that is a tfx psu. an odd size for sure. this is the best one i see on newegg that's a direct dell replacement. it is 400w and only $30

https://www.newegg.com/replace-power-rp-sff-l250ns/p/1HU-009N-000B8

i did forget to ask though why you wish to upgrade it. what do you want to run that needs more power. this is just to be sure 400w is enough power. it does not have any pcie connections for graphics cards either so that still limits what gpu you can put in it as well. something that only needs mobo power is the best you can do.

edit i did find this one on amazon that has a 6-pin but i know nothing about the brand or its quality.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
looking at the spec sheet it only says the psu is a "standard" one. i'm not sure that can be a full size atx psu in that case as it's kind of narrow.

however, opening the case and having a look will answer that question.

can you look at the psu label and see if it lists its size such as atx or sfx. or write down the psu model number and post that here. can look it up and see that way. it might be atx but i can't verify that without getting inside it myself or looking up the model number.

if it is atx, then anything will work in the case, however if it is smaller, then you'll have to get that size.

Apr 18, 2020
looking at the spec sheet it only says the psu is a "standard" one. i'm not sure that can be a full size atx psu in that case as it's kind of narrow.

however, opening the case and having a look will answer that question.

can you look at the psu label and see if it lists its size such as atx or sfx. or write down the psu model number and post that here. can look it up and see that way. it might be atx but i can't verify that without getting inside it myself or looking up the model number.

if it is atx, then anything will work in the case, however if it is smaller, then you'll have to get that size.
This is a computer I gave my Gson. I will have to go out there and open it up and see what I can tell you further. Will try to get that done tomorrow. Thanks!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

that's the spec sheet i referred to. it claims "standard" psu but who knows what that means. i am hoping its an atx psu so anything can replace it. but to be sure before making any serious recommendations i want to see the psu label. even if it is a sfx unit, there are plenty of solid options to replace it with. we try to be as precise as possible to offer the best help possible, so i don't like to assume anything :)

Apr 18, 2020
Trying to figure out how to insert the photo I took! I have tried the insert link, insert image and insert media to no avail. I might be able to send it to your email address if you would share with me.

Last edited:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
thanks for the pics. that is a tfx psu. an odd size for sure. this is the best one i see on newegg that's a direct dell replacement. it is 400w and only $30

i did forget to ask though why you wish to upgrade it. what do you want to run that needs more power. this is just to be sure 400w is enough power. it does not have any pcie connections for graphics cards either so that still limits what gpu you can put in it as well. something that only needs mobo power is the best you can do.

edit i did find this one on amazon that has a 6-pin but i know nothing about the brand or its quality.

Reactions: fishrman
Solution
Apr 18, 2020

You're the MAN!! Thank you so much!! I have ordered from Newegg! Now, when I get it will you put it in for me? `~)

Apr 18, 2020

I forgot to read all your answer---guess I was to excited to get one on order. Anyway, my gson says it is shutting down on him when he is playing Fortnite and trying to talk to a friend he is playing with. Hoping the issue of not having a pcie connection for graphics isn't an issue.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
You're the MAN!! Thank you so much!! I have ordered from Newegg! Now, when I get it will you put it in for me? `~)

if you live close enough i'd be happy to :) it's actually what i do for a living. as for the lack of not having a pcie connectiont, the card works now which tells me it does not have one. so should not be an issue for whatever card he has now. but still keeping my fingers crossed for it to work out of the box :)

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020
yah just a bit of space between us. east coast virginia beach here. so i guess you're gonna get to have the fun all by yourself :)

hope it all works out.
Welllll, with a little bit of a struggle, we got it up and running! Only issue is that we didn't resolve the issue. It is still shutting itself down when he is trying to use his gaming features. Wondering now if it could be the cpu??