Question Want to upgrade prebuilt CyberPower PC with Gigabyte X99-UD4-CF

Jan 7, 2023
Have a 2015 prebuilt CyberPower PC with a Gigabyte X99-UD4-CF motherboard with a TITAN X and 1 TB SAMSUNG 850 SSD, was wondering if it would be possible to upgrade to a 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVME and newer GPU, possibly a 2070/3070. Bit of a beginner when it comes to building/upgrading so any tips or pointers would be helpful.

there is really no point in upgrading such an old system :
modern graphics cards would be bottlenecked by old 6 core cpus
(the best you can do on that motherboard is 6th gen 8 core/16 threads 6900K cpu which is currently listed on amazon for 169 dollars )
it is also pointless to upgrade your m.2 drive since you would be limited to pcie 2.0 x4 bandwidth (2000MB/s)
the drive you want to buy has 7000 MB/s read / 5000 MB/s write speeds so it would be severally bottlenecked ,
not to mention possible compatibility problems with such an old motherboard
(if you are lucky it will be "plug and play" but some users had to update their bios for it to work on old motherboards) .

in summary your best option is to sell it and build a new modern system .

Reactions: Why_Me

DavidM012

Distinguished
Yes it would work pci-e backwards compatbility for nvme works better than GPU backwards compatbility but it will only run at pci-e 2.0 however I think that windows runs better on nvme than sata ssd. My system feels more stable and responsive though they say you can't tell the difference I'm happy with running mine at pci-e 2.0 and I can just flip the drive to a new mobo when I upgrade.

The power requirements of a stronger GPU might not get on well with a pci-e 2.0 port so you'd have to go for something with a conservative power draw modern gpus could cook the pci-e slot and fry your mobo.

An RX 6600 is 132w so 75w from the socket and the rest from a pci-e connector from a power supply is under 150w so is a gtx 1660 super 125w power draw however both are lo-end ray tracing cards probably ok for 1080p but starting to struggle at 1440p

6600 vs 1660 super - gpu monkey.

rtx 3000 series pssh probably will blat your mobo even a 1070 or 1080 might be too much for it. There was a phase when GPU power requirements went up around 2015 and there were power issues with some cards on pci-e 2.0 mobos and on the amd side too.

You don't really want to be experimenting and break your board since it couldn't be reconditioned or replaced and if you are still able to run some games you like at 1080p it's saving you some money for the time being. Tiding you over 'til your next upgrade so don't push your luck too hard.

Have a 2015 prebuilt CyberPower PC with a Gigabyte X99-UD4-CF motherboard with a TITAN X and 1 TB SAMSUNG 850 SSD, was wondering if it would be possible to upgrade to a 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVME and newer GPU, possibly a 2070/3070. Bit of a beginner when it comes to building/upgrading so any tips or pointers would be helpful.
What is your budget and what country are you located?

Yes it would work pci-e backwards compatbility for nvme works better than GPU backwards compatbility but it will only run at pci-e 2.0 however I think that windows runs better on nvme than sata ssd. My system feels more stable and responsive though they say you can't tell the difference I'm happy with running mine at pci-e 2.0 and I can just flip the drive to a new mobo when I upgrade.

The power requirements of a stronger GPU might not get on well with a pci-e 2.0 port so you'd have to go for something with a conservative power draw modern gpus could cook the pci-e slot and fry your mobo.

An RX 6600 is 132w so 75w from the socket and the rest from a pci-e connector from a power supply is under 150w so is a gtx 1660 super 125w power draw however both are lo-end ray tracing cards probably ok for 1080p but starting to struggle at 1440p

6600 vs 1660 super - gpu monkey.

rtx 3000 series pssh probably will blat your mobo even a 1070 or 1080 might be too much for it. There was a phase when GPU power requirements went up around 2015 and there were power issues with some cards on pci-e 2.0 mobos and on the amd side too.

You don't really want to be experimenting and break your board since it couldn't be reconditioned or replaced and if you are still able to run some games you like at 1080p it's saving you some money for the time being. Tiding you over 'til your next upgrade so don't push your luck too hard.

well not quite - in fact modern gpus tend to draw even less power from the slot itself than the older ones .
rtx 3070/3080 will draw around 50-60w from pcie slot itself and the rest from external 6-8pin connectors .
(provided you know what you are doing and you have sufficient power supply to run those cards) .
mainly it was a problem with radeon rx 480 you might be reffering to which back in the day used to draw 80-90w of power from pcie slot creating some issues .

KINC:
while it is technically possible to upgrade your system with modern parts
you still should not do it if your target is playing modern games .
too many bottlenecks and too expensive to do it .

DavidM012

Distinguished
Well I just vaguely remember there being a moment when there was a concern about the power draw of gpus and I've seen one or two amd pci-e 2.0 boards go down with a 1070 but I'm not sure if it was a common problem.

There was an issue yes it might've been that 480 when they were talking about tuning the drivers but if it's not, well then maybe you can get away with it at 1080p although the devices won't run at full speed but you could probably just as well do 1080p with cheaper parts anyway but yes a 1660 super or something is just frittering the budget for a better build though you could use an nvme and just flip the drive when you upgrade since it's mainly the psu and gpu that are the hang ups.

TRENDING THREADS