CPU: I9-9900k
CPU cooler: Corsair H150i pro
Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Taichi
GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 ULTRA XC
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32gb(2x16) ddr4 3200mhz
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD
Samsung 850 EVO 120GB SSD
WD 1TB HHD

(On monday, will be replacing storage with a 2TB Samsung EVO 970+ M.2 and a 500GB or 1TB M.2)

PSU: Corsair RM850
Case: Lian Li pc-011 Dynamic
Case fans: 6 Corsair HD120 Pro
Monitor: Dell 27' 2560x1440p 144hz 1ms Gsync
Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard: HyperX Alloy Elite RGB
Mic: Yeti Blackout
Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

He plays online games only, notably CSGO, Dota, Ark, Apex, and R6. He also streams while gaming and wants to record and edit. I'm not worried about overkill or price. I want him to always have the highest FPS and performance possible on the highest settings possible, with the option to upgrade his monitor in the future. I'd like to stick to his 6 case fans and AIO CPU cooler instead of going all out liquid cooling. Right now with his CPU turbo'd, he's not going over 40's celcius and and same with his GPU.

With that said, please give me your top 3 2080ti choices and why. I brought up possibly replacing the PSU because it's 4 years old, don't know if that'll become an issue.

Solution
Plus that specific model is reputable and has a ten year warranty
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...-series-config/p/CP-9020056-NA#tab-tech-specs
5 years actually.

There really is no 'best 2080Ti'. There's going to be different opinions based on personal preference and experience; positive and negative.
As already mentioned by @cherry blossoms, the Kingpin is hands down the strongest available 2080Ti: the only fully customizable model... but if you're green with overclocking, having the power to remove those limiters may cost you a brand new 1700USD gpu.
All the other models are going to perform within a few percent of one another.
EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti K|NGP|N: limited availability?, meant for overclockers. No Fuss EVGA warranty. Would need to find space for the hybrid cooling.
EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA: Widely available Good 3 fan cooling. One of the fastest. No Fuss EVGA warranty.
Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 2080 Ti AMP Extreme: Supposedly one of the fastest.
Gigabyte Aorus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Xtreme: Fast, 3 fan design, with RGB lighting if you like that feature.

New power supply? I am biased as I had 2 Corsair units self destruct and take out components. Would recommend something like a Seasonic Prime Ultra 850 Platinum or Titanium

Power Supply: Don't bother replacing it. If you've already owned it four years, then it's already proven. Plus that specific model is reputable and has a ten year warranty.

Addendum in response to Phaaze88's reply (below). The Corsair RM series PSUs were either manufactured by OEMs Chicony or CWT. You can view the color the PSU's label to determine which one it is. The warranty length is either five or ten years.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/Power-Supply-Units-Advanced/RM-Series™-80-PLUS-Gold-Power-Supplies/p/CP-9020196-NA#tab-tech-specs

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...-series-config/p/CP-9020056-NA#tab-tech-specs

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Plus that specific model is reputable and has a ten year warranty
5 years actually.

There really is no 'best 2080Ti'. There's going to be different opinions based on personal preference and experience; positive and negative.
As already mentioned by @cherry blossoms, the Kingpin is hands down the strongest available 2080Ti: the only fully customizable model... but if you're green with overclocking, having the power to remove those limiters may cost you a brand new 1700USD gpu.

Solution

jordanzs

Commendable
Dec 14, 2018
5 years actually.

What about potentially overclocking but staying with the current cooling setup? Watching him play Dota earlier, his CPU temps stayed under 40, usage stayed under 20, GPU temp and usage both stayed around 50. FPS were bouncing around between 130's-70's. Not sure his settings, he's sleeping now.

And with the 5yr warranty on the PSU, maybe we should replace it and play it safe?

jordanzs

Commendable
Dec 14, 2018
Unless we can connect an AIO cooler to the GPU also with our current setup. I don't even know if that's possible, just thought I'd throw it out there.

Edit: correct me if I'm wrong, but am I seeing the Kingpin comes with it's own 240mm radiator AIO? I can't find the dimensions of that radiator. Is it a realistic good option for our setup?

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What about potentially overclocking but staying with the current cooling setup?
Should be easy enough to OC the 9900K to 5.0ghz with that cooler and motherboard.
Running a chimney style airflow set up in that case? Nice.

Watching him play Dota earlier, his CPU temps stayed under 40, usage stayed under 20, GPU temp and usage both stayed around 50. FPS were bouncing around between 130's-70's.
Dota is a poor example of the PC's real muscle, and will see next to no performance gain from a 2080Ti. It's over 6 years old, and I guess they never bothered to update the game engine.
Dota isn't optimized to run on such high end hardware. This game runs on just 2 cores. The rest are doing nothing. I'm not surprised with the gpu usage either.

And with the 5yr warranty on the PSU, maybe we should replace it and play it safe?
I think that'd be best. Perhaps just buy another RM850?

jordanzs

Commendable
Dec 14, 2018
Should be easy enough to OC the 9900K to 5.0ghz with that cooler and motherboard.
Running a chimney style airflow set up in that case? Nice.

Dota is a poor example of the PC's real muscle, and will see next to no performance gain from a 2080Ti. It's over 6 years old, and I guess they never bothered to update the game engine.
Dota isn't optimized to run on such high end hardware. This game runs on just 2 cores. The rest are doing nothing. I'm not surprised with the gpu usage either.

I think that'd be best. Perhaps just buy another RM850?

Forgive me, I'm not good as matching the quotes for each reply...

Case airflow is against what I originally thought, but we followed Gamers Nexus' best results with this case. Bottom 3 fans intake, top 3 fans intake, AIO as side exhaust.

What online games will give much better, challenging, accurate results for the system?

And I agree about a new PSU. Corsair or Seasonic?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Forgive me, I'm not good as matching the quotes for each reply...
No worries, the problem lies on my end. I've made a habit out it... XD

Case airflow is against what I originally thought, but we followed Gamers Nexus' best results with this case. Bottom 3 fans intake, top 3 fans intake, AIO as side exhaust.
Yeah, that's pretty much chimney style; bottom to top.

What online games will give much better, challenging, accurate results for the system?
Apex and R6 will show the most substantial results from the list you've provided.
Ark, if I remember correctly, is in the boat with the likes of PUBG and ARMA 3; poorly programmed game engines that don't know what to do with all the resources available to them.

And I agree about a new PSU. Corsair or Seasonic?
Your RM850 served you well this far... get an RM850X?

jordanzs

Commendable
Dec 14, 2018
No worries, the problem lies on my end. I've made a habit out it... XD

Yeah, that's pretty much chimney style; bottom to top.

Apex and R6 will show the most substantial results from the list you've provided.
Ark, if I remember correctly, is in the boat with the likes of PUBG and ARMA 3; poorly programmed game engines that don't know what to do with all the resources available to them.

Your RM850 served you well this far... get an RM850X?

In the morning we're going to Microcenter in IL.. We're getting a Samsung EVO 970+ M.2 SSD.... Just can't decide on the EVGA 2080ti FTW3 or a 2080ti that has an AIO already attached with it to go with our current setup. Is 2 AIO's a good idea(seperate AIO for each the CPU and GPU)?

Last edited:

jordanzs

Commendable
Dec 14, 2018
It's neither good nor bad: just a matter of personal preference.

I can imagine a few commenters saying that you may as well have gone with a custom loop if you're going to get 2 AIOs... but custom is not for everyone; overall harder to setup and maintain.

We want to stay away from from a custom loop for now. The last thing we're trying to figure out is should we get a GPU that has an AIO or a GPU with just fans.... With considering the CPU AIO and case fan setup.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Kingpin: No holds barred overclocking at your fingertips! Although, if you're green to overclocking, it's best to either leave it at stock until you have a better understanding of OC'ing, or avoid it altogether.

FTW Hybrid & XC Ultra: the Hybrid's likely the stronger of the 2, having higher power limits and it should be able to run cooler than the Ultra.
-The downside? Since it's part AIO, you won't be able to service it yourself.
-The pumps in these things don't last an eternity - like 3-5years, but if you're after the 'best of the best' every year or so, you'll likely have replaced it before then.