Build Advice Wanting to Step up from Midrange. In uncharted waters. Please advise

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Hello!
When someone can make the time, i'd love some input on a new build. It will have to be built by 'someone' else as i am unable and unwilling to learn how to do it myself.

What I use my Desktop PC for - gaming, surfing and watching streaming video.
I'll want to play my old game rotation in ultra settings for a change and have better FPS. Games like fallout 4, Borderlands 1&2, Witcher 3, Skyrim and Halo MCC. i will be getting Starfield and Alan Wake 2 and who knows what newer games i may want in the future.

I do not overclock. I have a $3000 budget and tired of 'mid-range'. I'd love to build around the Ryzen 7 7800x3d CPU, paired with at least an RTX 4070 ti super. I want to step up to 1440p and have at least a 27" monitor for a change. (not the wide short ones but a big rectangle shape)
My biggest worry, in that regard, is that i'll still need to watch 720p movies and i need the text on webpages to be as clear as it is now on my 1080p 24" monitor. I sit about six feet from the screen in a small room, with no desire to sit any closer.
I'll add more once i land on a motherboard, psu and memory and such. For now, would you all advise and give me things to consider and maybe recommend a 1440p monitor and say something about my needing more screen real estate and watching 720p or lower video and having text on webpage be clear - basically what i can expect from going up to 1440p? I know the gaming will blow my mind but i don't want to compromise on the other.

Final note. If my tried and true friend can't build it for me, rather than rolling the dice on a SI or buying a prebuilt, I thought i may roll the dice on a local PC repair store to build it. I found one man that I also do not know - who says he would build it. My thinking is that he could keep it on the bench for a while to monitor and tweak the config and also, should something go wrong, at least i'll know where he lives!

Thank you all very much

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Ah man, i didn't look close enough. Since i'm doing the NZXT thing, i have to choose the parts they offer and they're only showing me two M.2 nvme drives and Both of them are gen 4! They have two motherboards i like - both of which have at least 1 or 2 gen 5 M.2 drive slots, along with a gen 5 pcie for the GPU, which is good. If they offer MBs with gen 5 storage slots they damn well should have drives to match!
I'll call them tomoro. They might would help me out with a gen 5 drive.

Ah man, i didn't look close enough. Since i'm doing the NZXT thing, i have to choose the parts they offer and they're only showing me two M.2 nvme drives and Both of them are gen 4! They have two motherboards i like - both of which have at least 1 or 2 gen 5 M.2 drive slots, along with a gen 5 pcie for the GPU, which is good. If they offer MBs with gen 5 storage slots they damn well should have drives to match!
I'll call them tomoro. They might would help me out with a gen 5 drive.
I made this white themed build with no monitor and a7800x3d + 4070 ti super.

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Nice. That's really all the compute power i would need but i'm in a long story situation where i've come into some money that i am 'required' to spend down. It's an SSA thing. So i'm going all out...shy of getting the 4090...then again i may even change my mind about that ;)
My idea about doing a white build for a change from always black - is that i'm hoping white would psychologically influence me to do better at keeping it clean :) Have you found this to be a real thing or is it simply an aesthetics thing for ya?

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Also, have you picked a monitor that fits your needs? i urgently need a rig and monitor that will make my low pixel movie files and old games - display well and also not run into issues with reading text. That would require components with the best upscaling capability? Is it 'upscaling' what i'll need for that? That why I'm going with nvidia gpu - not for the ray tracing but for their alleged better upscaling features(is that true of those cards?) I might get the 4090 if i could know that card would be the very best for my need. I think the nvidia gpus have upscaling settings.

Since the monitor would also factor in, I want either a 1440p monitor or a 4k display and i'd like a 32"; but to help with my upscaling needs(if that's what i should focus on) , i have the idea that sticking with 1440p monitor thats 27" would give me the best outcome. Are there monitors that would add to my upscaling needs? ideas on that? Ideally, i'd love a 32" screen that would display everything as well as they currently do on my 24" 1080p screen.
Is that even achievable? Thanks