[SOLVED] Wanting to upgrade my graphics card (R7 250) to something better

Dec 4, 2019
I use an old system that does what I need but the graphics card is showing it's age and I want to upgrade it some. The motherboard is a F2A68HM-H with a AMD X4 860K. I run dual monitors and they both have HDMI, DVI, and VEGA connections. I'm on a very limited budget so I can't spend much (otherwise I would get a whole new system).

The current graphics card is a MSI Radeon R7 250 with 2G memory. What card could you recommend that is an upgrade, compatible with my motherboard, and fits a budget of 100 or so (that is my top end on money)? I looked at that graphics chart post and could not make heads or tails out of it which is why I'm asking here.

Thank you for any help and info.

Solution
For that age CPU and motherboard you probably don't want to go with anything new as it may not run on the older motherboard and will be overkill for what the CPU can handle. nVidia 750 Ti would be a good upgrade, it's more than twice as fast and you should be able to get them used for $30-40 which gives you enough left of your budget to get a quality power supply. This is a good one for a gaming setup, long warranty, semi modular so case is kept neater https://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-SSR...ywords=Corsair+CXM&qid=1575579754&sr=8-5&th=1
Dec 4, 2019
Full system specs, including make/model of the power supply?
It is a generic 550 watt psu. I can't get into the case right now to tell you what is on the label as I'm about to go to work. I will update when I get a chance.

Motherboard is a gigabyte F2A68HM-H with 16 gigs of ram.
Cpu is an AMD x4 860k
Video Card is MSI Radeon R7 250 with 2G memory.
It has a SSD 124gigs (it might be slightly less) with Windows 10 pro installed.
It has a secondary harddrive 7200rpm 500gig.
I have an external 1 terrabyte drive.

That is the complete hardware list.

I forgot to add case info. A generic case (6+yrs old) with four 120mm fans.

Last edited:
For that age CPU and motherboard you probably don't want to go with anything new as it may not run on the older motherboard and will be overkill for what the CPU can handle. nVidia 750 Ti would be a good upgrade, it's more than twice as fast and you should be able to get them used for $30-40 which gives you enough left of your budget to get a quality power supply. This is a good one for a gaming setup, long warranty, semi modular so case is kept neater https://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-SSR...ywords=Corsair+CXM&qid=1575579754&sr=8-5&th=1

Solution

logainofhades

Titan
An 860k would be ok with up to maybe an RX 570, but that would be the absolute limit. An RX 560 is probably the best new choice, though. Just have to be careful, as there are like 3 different versions, of that card. Once you have a proper power supply, a used RX 470/570 would be the better choice price/performance wise.