Question Wanting to upgrade ram

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
I’m looking to upgrade from my current Corsair vengeance 16 gb 3000 mhz rgb ram
I’m looking to bump it up to 32 gb, I’m looking for recommendations I’ve heard this ram is a good idea -
https://amzn.eu/d/1CGnN09
Thanks!

Specs;
Case: GameMax Diamond Black ARGB Gaming
Psu: Be Quiet! System Power 9 700W 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply
Gpu: 8GB NVIDIA GeForce Ampere RTX 3070
Ram: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3000MHz Memory
Cpu: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8 Core CPU

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Please state the make and model of your motherboard.

Sig space specs can and will change over time, rendering suggestions on this thread moot to the person in the same boat as you, this is why we ask users to include their specs into the thread's body for the sake of relevance. I edited your sig space specs into the thread but your motherboard is missing from that.

If you have a B450 or prior chipset motherboard, the highest you'd possible get to without much fiddling, is DDR4-3200MHz. If you're on B550 chipset, you can work with DDR4-3600MHz out of the box. You could also look into Klevv's and maybe Crucial or G.Skill. They make some good quality ram kits.

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
You can find that kit of ram cheaper, than that. Still need to know motherboard model though. Some chipsets don't do well, over DDR4 3200.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Kingston FURY Renegade 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (£86.90 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £86.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-02-02 15:43 GMT+0000
You say some chipsets don’t do well, is mine okay? It’s a x570 mpg gaming edge by msi

The speed not likely so much. It depends on what you are doing. It seems to help things like compressing and uncompressing zip files more. For games your money is better spent on a gpu and cpu first and when you have those maxed then memory is the next.

Having more GB of memory again depends on what you are doing. In general having more that you are actually using does not make things faster. You should be able to tell if you are have a memory issue by watching the resmon tab. You can actually use a lot of memory if you keep say 50 tabs open in chrome.

32GB of 3600 cl16 is what tends to be the best cost/performance but there is not a huge difference between say 3200cl14 and 3600cl16. The more common timing are 3200cl16 an 3600cl18. Although you can benchmark differences I doubt you will see actual real life difference between any of those timings.

The list QVL list I posted from MSI is one of the larger and harder to use ones I have seen. It is extremely slow to search. What you do is find memory you think might be ok price wise and then key in the first part of the exact part numbers. Link the kingston ones you linked start with KF346C. You will see you do not get a exact match but it was tested with some other kingston fury chips at different specs. That just means they did not test with the exact kit you posted.

What I have never seen is memory they test and it fails list. There has to be memory like this but you never see lists which I suspect is because of lawyers.

This tends to be tricky since you are overclocking the memory. Even your current 3000 memory is a overclock.

So I guess your first step is to see if going to 32GB is needed. Then brute force your way though the list with memory you might buy until you find something on the list.

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
Im just going to add this to see if any of you can tell me, should i be concerned that when i upgraded to better RAM my GPU temps went from about 78-80c gaming to about 80-83c when gaming, is this normal? or should i be concerned? Ive also noticed what seems to be my PSU fan occasionaly just ends up at full speed and im unsure why? Nothing has changed apart from RAM, i did a light bit of dusting around the pc case when i put the new RAM in

Last edited:
It is normal for your upgrade.
Looks like you went from 16-64 GB of memory.
32GB sticks are dual rank. Which is similar to Dual channel per stick. So you are now running 2 memory controllers instead of one on the I/O die and the processor is getting fed faster which means it is doing more.
Your max FPS went up a little but your minimum FPS should go up a good bit more.
3 degrees is nothing unless you are already on the bleeding edge of stability.
Enjoy your upgrade.

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
It is normal for your upgrade.
Looks like you went from 16-64 GB of memory.
32GB sticks are dual rank. Which is similar to Dual channel per stick. So you are now running 2 memory controllers instead of one on the I/O die and the processor is getting fed faster which means it is doing more.
Your max FPS went up a little but your minimum FPS should go up a good bit more.
3 degrees is nothing unless you are already on the bleeding edge of stability.
Enjoy your upgrade.
Thank you! i wasnt sure if it was right being that it was my GPU getting hotter not my CPU - cpu normaly hit around 80-82c when gaming - which is around the same as my GPU was normally. I think i fixed my PSU fan going mental, just by dusting the bottom of it off.