Wanting to upgrade

Sleepy952

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014
Disclaimer: Typing original post at work on phone will fix errors later.

Looking to upgrade this basic build i made late 2014.
( https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nrhGgL ) gpu is seasonic x650 will prob add to partpicker list later, mobile is a pain.

I have been using my pc since i built it and have been extremely happy with it, that being said its starting to show its age. I plan on getting a used 980ti for around 300$ and was wondering what kind of cpu you guys could recommend. I dont really have a budget and just want something that wont bottleneck the 980ti, but not something thats way overkill. I live near a microcenter so that could save me some money however im not sure wheter to go for an older i5 to save about $100 on ram or to just get a sky or kaby lake i5 or i7. Im also open to tryinn the new ryzen chips. I really would like some input and am probably goinng to have to upgrade to ddr4 since im not really finding any older i5s at a price point i like. Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks to the forum members who help me build my original pc you guys saved me money and many headaches, thanks again.

Solution
Being that you already have a hard drive, power supply and case, there is no need to spend money when you don't have to. Your GPU is still pretty food, and really don't need to be updated whatsoever. You can get the 980Ti if you want, but your R9 280 is still a sought after card. Now it won't allow you to max out every title, but it will still allow you to game.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-7500 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($188.21 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - B250M PRO-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($61.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws 4 series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($59.92 @ Amazon)
Storage:...
Being that you already have a hard drive, power supply and case, there is no need to spend money when you don't have to. Your GPU is still pretty food, and really don't need to be updated whatsoever. You can get the 980Ti if you want, but your R9 280 is still a sought after card. Now it won't allow you to max out every title, but it will still allow you to game.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-7500 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($188.21 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - B250M PRO-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($61.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws 4 series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($59.92 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon R9 280 3GB Dual-X Video Card
Case: Corsair - 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $310.12
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-15 17:10 EDT-0400

Solution

Sleepy952

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014
Yea the main reason for the 980ti was to have the capability higher than 1920x1080 monitor down the line. I also figured that I should just upgrade my cpu and gpu at the same time. I am mainly concerned with holding at least 60fps, and to have this upgrade really feel like an upgrade, also being able to run games on high or ultra settigs again would be nice. So with that all out of the way you think an i5 7500 kaby lake is the way to go?

If you are purely gaming, yes. No streaming or anything like that. You could can still mutli-task. If you are into editing or anything like that, I would recommend Ryzen, but you use a slight bit of performance with gaming.

Sleepy952

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014
I usually am playing a game and will have say youtube, twitch, or netflix on the other monitor. I occasionally stream but thats only when a friend wants me to so i dont really care about that.

You can stream, but you will have to drop the quality. If you are playing a game, watching the other videos should be just fine. This build is perfect for you.

Though, I don't get while you would get and watch Netflix at the time. But maybe it's just me.