News Warframe devs report 80% of game crashes happen on Intel's overclockable Core i9 chips — Core i7 K-series CPUs also have high crash rates

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Very interesting. Source?
I got it wrong, it seems. At least on a superficial double take.

After going down the rabbit hole, I haven't found any real data on Xeons (hard tangible, that is), so I can't 100% claim the Xeons also have the problem. It is very likely though and while this doesn't mean anything as they could still be affected, we won't ever know until/if an OEM comes forth with tangible information which I'd imagine Intel would like to protect at all costs.

Regards.

Reactions: bit_user

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
It's astounding some of their CPUs degrade at 85C or cooler, in which the W-series boards are running according to Level1techs should handle near infinity at that temp. So.. the chip is being overvolted to death?

Apr 25, 2024
I typically emerge from my cave to comment only periodically (and even then it's usually just to make snarky remarks), but I do read most threads, and I have to say, it is rather tiresome how you appear to consistently be operating under the assumption that this problem stems from a clock/power issue. You don't know, and neither do any of the rest of us.

But more than that, you seem intent on just brushing the whole thing aside: that doesn't help you or anyone else here, and it sure doesn't help Intel. It's a bit like those people who insist that because THEY haven't experienced problems, that must mean it doesn't exist.

If the problem really is as simple as dodgy voltage/clock/power settings, it'd probably be fixed already and horror stories like this wouldn't keep emerging.

For some reason, any time Intel experiences even a tiny bit of negativity, you come out on the attack. Most of us would rather this wasn't happening at all (rabid fanboys notwithstanding), because competitors are generally not charitable and will possibly do their best to take advantage in a way that is ultimately detrimental to customers. Acknowledging problems is the best way forward for everyone.

Now, back to my cave.
you went easy on him honestly, he also constantly tries to push the false narrative (disinformation) that Intel is and has always been more efficient/performant than AMD at any metric (idle, mix, or full workload) and at any density/clock. He looks to me like one of the Wccftech trolls in the comments, meatshielding Intel left and right, and attacking AMD were they are clearly invulnerable, yet they never actually properly attack AMD's vulnerable spots and mistakes, etc (mobile naming, RDNA 3 and 2 6900 series MSRP, desktop APU's, lack of proper AIB QA-QC from their part, etc).

Apr 25, 2024
I got it wrong, it seems. At least on a superficial double take.

After going down the rabbit hole, I haven't found any real data on Xeons (hard tangible, that is), so I can't 100% claim the Xeons also have the problem. It is very likely though and while this doesn't mean anything as they could still be affected, we won't ever know until/if an OEM comes forth with tangible information which I'd imagine Intel would like to protect at all costs.

Regards.
if the problem is overvolting/hight temps for long periods, i doubt Xeons will suffer the same, as they arent pushed nowhere near as hard as Desktop parts, if the problem is a design flaw... welp then things are going to get even uglier for them.

Apparently Intel forgot that their current moto of power to the max and beyond just to keep relevant vs current AMD offerings could end in something like this, pushing parts beyond a "normal" (5-7 years at least) lifetime usability without widespread noticeable degradation.

Also the fact every supposed "fix" usually means underclocking heavily the cpu well below Intel's advertised speed and perf numbers.. opening themselves for a massive C.A.L. Also waiting for it to happen.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
yet they never actually properly attack AMD's vulnerable spots and mistakes, etc (... RDNA 3 and 2 6900 series MSRP, ... lack of proper AIB QA-QC from their part, etc).
Oh, you think he's just generally an Intel fan? No, he's specifically oriented towards Intel CPUs! That doesn't mean he above taking the odd potshot at other aspects of AMD, but he appears to be "affiliated" with the CPU division of Intel.

Reactions: eX_Arkangel

TheHerald

Prominent
Feb 15, 2024
I keep hearing about these issues with Intel cpu's, but I'm not having any issues on my side. I built a PC for me and one for my nephew about a year ago with 13900k's and neither of our systems have crashed.

I had one crash on mine but that was my doing because stupid me forgot to plug my AIO pump back in after working on it.
Obviously it's not going to affect 100% of chips, probably. I haven't had any issues on 13 and 14900k either but doesn't mean much, sample size is too small to conclude anything. It seems that most likely there is an issue, now how widespread that is we need to wait and see