Warner Bros, Intel File DMCA Suit Over HDCP Crack Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.
All those devices look more useful to let someone with an old analog(Composite/Component/VGA) set use a new bluray player/cable box.

I know they may not know it, but movies are ripped from the disc not from a bluray player or cable box to one of these then tons of conversions/compression.

This just hurts customers for no good reason.

wolley74

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
better get rid of set top boxes and computers in general, maybe DVD / CD / Bluray drives need to go away as well, they all help it

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
I'm starting to question my ambitions as a material engineer...

Hmm, maybe I can double up on copyright/patent law study AND material engineering. Who needs some damn cookies when you can earn stupidly large and stable amount of money.

InvalidError

Titan
Who rips BD movies through HDMI/VGA dump? Much more convenient to rip the BD media itself and strip the AACS protection there... much faster, cheaper, uses a lot less disk space and allows perfect binary copies.

Sounds like studios barking up the wrong tree to me.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
[citation][nom]InvalidError[/nom]Who rips BD movies through HDMI/VGA dump?[/citation]Because it works no matter what the source.

[citation][nom]InvalidError[/nom]Much more convenient to rip the BD media itself and strip the AACS protection there... much faster, cheaper, uses a lot less disk space and allows perfect binary copies.Sounds like studios barking up the wrong tree to me.[/citation]But nobody has cracked the master key. And they're not going to, since Blu-ray uses real crypto. All the existing cracks have done is stolen some keys that new discs will stop supporting.

[citation][nom]nukemaster[/nom]All those devices look more useful to let someone with an old analog(Composite/Component/VGA) set use a new bluray player/cable box.I know they may not know it, but movies are ripped from the disc not from a bluray player or cable box to one of these then tons of conversions/compression.This just hurts customers for no good reason.[/citation]

Broadcast television and PayPerView also use HDCP

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
OOOOOOOOOHH....

So thats why they are pushing BD so hard for >_>

And here I thought it was for the marginal improvement of screen quality that I can barely notice ^.^ >_>

LordConrad

Distinguished
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]OOOOOOOOOHH....So thats why they are pushing BD so hard for >_>And here I thought it was for the marginal improvement of screen quality that I can barely notice ^.^ >_>[/citation]
The difference in video quality between DVD and Blu-ray is quite pronounced, you either need to get glasses or dump your CRT television.

abbadon_34

Distinguished
DRM was the only reason for HDMI, as we computer users know it's not necessary for high resolution video. I'm not throwing out thousands of dollars of hifi equipment just because someone wants me to use a new connector. Thankfully I grabbed a couple BD player when they still had component video and optical audio, and my receiver is old enough not to cripple my optical connection.

Blackjack Davy

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
[citation][nom]bit_user[/nom]Because it works no matter what the source.But nobody has cracked the master key. And they're not going to, since Blu-ray uses real crypto. All the existing cracks have done is stolen some keys that new discs will stop supporting.[/citation]

Thats an idiotic comment if ever I heard one. Try doing some research first. Ever heard of AnyDvdHD? Or DvdFab? Or MakeMKV? Blu-ray encryption is thoroughly broken. The only thing thats not cracked is Cinavia since it uses an analogue sound wave that can't be removed from digital recordings at present. But its only a matter of time.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]Good. Anything that shuts pirates down is a good thing.[/citation]
you have any idea how stupid pirateing through that method would be?
try recording an uncompressed 1080p signal for a minute, and look at how much space that takes up... i beleive it would be around 5-10gb. which you would than have to compress the hell out of, which would probably net you an over all worse coppy than just ripping the blu ray itself.

that said, keep in mind there are MANY reasons to rip a dvd or a bluray

personally i have a media server setup where i live, so every device can access the files simply and display them however i wish.

this isnt stamping out piracy, because no pirate would do this anymore after the discs can be cracked and ripped.

[citation][nom]Blackjack Davy[/nom]Thats an idiotic comment if ever I heard one. Try doing some research first. Ever heard of AnyDvdHD? Or DvdFab? Or MakeMKV? Blu-ray encryption is thoroughly broken. The only thing thats not cracked is Cinavia since it uses an analogue sound wave that can't be removed from digital recordings at present. But its only a matter of time.[/citation]

ok, from what i read, its a sound that is inaudible. and doesnt ruin the movie.

that would mean that its at a specific range that cant be heard, so logic would say chop off the high and low end on any media we know has it, and isolate it, find out its range, and remove it.

if they were smart in its implementation, they have the firmware capable of storing multiple ok signals, so when one is cracked, another is used.

if this is only used in theaters to prevent cams, i hope its never cracked, but if this is used in media for the pc, i could see a day where "this player is not supported, use the official player here for 99.95$" may be a reality, considering what studios do to theaters and force them to buy different projectors for different studios, i wouldnt count that reality out.

in that case i hope it gets stripable soon.

Thus my post listed CABLE BOX(broadcast and PPV would fall into that no?)?

Have you tried to compare the quality of cable/satellite to an actual BD disc? This is not what they tend to rip(others have stated, much more easy to rip the disc it self). If you want to rip tv shows, you can just do it over component anyway.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
[citation][nom]LordConrad[/nom]The difference in video quality between DVD and Blu-ray is quite pronounced, you either need to get glasses or dump your CRT television.[/citation]

Actually....
I do need glasses....

pedro_mann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
"SIIG C-H20511-S1 HDMI toYPbPr/VGA & Audio Conv", "StarTech.com MNHD2VGAE VideoCable", "SABRENT HDMI TO VGACONVERTER HDMI INPUT", "SIIG CE-H21011-S1 - SIIG HDMI toVGA Converter with Audio Functions: Signal Conversion" and "CE LABS HDMI TO COMPOSITESCALER" that are offered via channels such as Ebay.

Thank you for the purchasing tips :) I'll make sure to pick a couple up for Christmas while we still have the option to. BTW, these don't really have anything to do with piracy. For example, I have an old projector that has only a vga input, it is nice to be able to hook modern devices up to it.

jonjonjon

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
i don't even get why there is HDCP. its pretty obvious that HDCP only effects the honest customer. you see any pirates worried about their non HDCP monitor?

10hellfire01

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
[citation][nom]jonjonjon[/nom]i don't even get why there is HDCP. its pretty obvious that HDCP only effects the honest customer. you see any pirates worried about their non HDCP monitor?[/citation]

That's what I was thinking. No idea why it still exists. Never hear about it doing anything actually. I never hear any complaints from pirates....any who use this route probably aren't too successful at it either due to the sizes as well.

redeye

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2005
well i have a hdmi to component converter... not sure if it Circumvents the hdcp though, becuase i bought it 5 years ago.

with serious "ninja" hacking skills, one should be any to get around hdcp, seeing how it is not encryption, but a secure handshake Protocol... fine difference...

" black magic designs" sells hdmi recording devices, but with a hdcp lockout.

but i suppose if you have a two way buffer, you could pick-off the hdmi signal...

but then what do i know?...

[citation][nom]bit_user[/nom]Because it works no matter what the source.[/citation]
This. While the encryption on DVDs and Blu-rays have been/may be cracked, HDCP is the granddaddy of them all because it's the one used on the TV. After DVDs were cracked, they just came up with a new encryption system for Blu-rays. But if you crack HDCP, that's it. They can't replace it without forcing everyone to replace all the old TVs they own.

Yes it's not as convenient as the pre-compressed video files on a DVD or Blu-ray disc. But it's digital so it doesn't really matter. If you're going to re-encode it anyway to make it smaller, it doesn't really mater if the original source is MPEG2, MPEG4, or raw.

[citation][nom]abbadon_34[/nom]DRM was the only reason for HDMI, as we computer users know it's not necessary for high resolution video.[/citation]
HDMI by itself doesn't have DRM. It's just a compressed video and audio stream. HDCP is what adds DRM to the stream.

Also, at present, HDMI is limited to about 2560x1440 (standard for 27" monitors). Most implementations are limited to 1920x1080p. And some earlier implementations can only do 720p/1080i. So it's not really ideal for high resolution computer monitors.

HDMI was made to clean up the tangle of cables behind your TV. Composite and S-Video use 3 cables (1 video, 2 audio). Component uses 5. HDMI brings us back to the old coaxial cable days when you used just a single cable to connect your video source to the TV.

aldoussnow

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
Can we file a counter suit for all of us that are limited and forced to shell out for another new monitor or HDTV once this nonsense started? Besides from a consumer stand point think of the ecological effects from all the junked out sets that are useless. As many others have said copying from the feed is for amateurs anyways. The source is much more efficient. All of us are being burdened with more useless tech that limits how we use our own property. If anything HDCP is just a open invite to torrent this media as the restrictions don't apply then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS