Warner Bros. Looking to Hire Secret Pirate Spy

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ncr7002

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
I don't need to download content since 90% or more of what US movie studios come up with is terrible, they been doing nothing but sequel #27 the prequel ! of bad movies from the 80's or crappy copies of Asian movies for the past decade. That is why their revenue is down the pipes.

If anything, the oscars are an indication of what not to see. I'm avoiding the winners like the plague. But why bother with The Departed when you can watch the real thing which is a hundred times better in every aspect ?

maydaynomore

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Hey Pirates: Thank you for DRM!
I dare you to read Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. Its a 50 yr old book, so it doesn't address piracy directly, but I bet you half the pirates would stop stealing after reading it.
Who am I kidding. 90% of all pirates would get lost within the first 2 pages.
Go ahead and steal. You are just hurting yourself and your fellow man. Piracy will be beaten eventually, but you won't like the way they will do it. For this, you will have only yourself to blame.

drksilenc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
[citation][nom]edilee[/nom]A couple months ago I downloaded a band's new CD purely to hear all of it's contents since I could not find a full sample of it anywhere. I had full intentions of buying the actual CD the next day which I did. Funny thing is the torrent download took all of 2 minutes and within 2 hours hours I recieved a notice of copywrite infringment from my ISP stating they had been notified by the copywrite holder of my violations.In this email it listed each song as a violation as well as the album and noted their size. Here is the kicker...there was absolutely no music in the files I downloaded as they were dummy files of some sort. The torrent itself was bait and when I went back and posted on PB that is was a bait file it was removed rather quickly. This was like the only time I had ever downloaded an entire album other than the handful of single songs I have over many years. Needless to say they are watching and putting bait files out there so I just buy the CDs now and get pissed when there is only one good song on it LOL.[/citation]
use the zune service for music. u can listen to all you like and they have alot of stuff

drksilenc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
[citation][nom]maydaynomore[/nom]Hey Pirates: Thank you for DRM! I dare you to read Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. Its a 50 yr old book, so it doesn't address piracy directly, but I bet you half the pirates would stop stealing after reading it. Who am I kidding. 90% of all pirates would get lost within the first 2 pages. Go ahead and steal. You are just hurting yourself and your fellow man. Piracy will be beaten eventually, but you won't like the way they will do it. For this, you will have only yourself to blame.[/citation]
the only way piracy will be beaten is if mass media controls the internet 100% and that wont happen cause they wouldnt be able to control it in every country

korsen

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Yeah, lets not continue to bring more attention to the torrent scene so that people who know enough to use google can figure it out for themselves.

This used to be a very tiny issue until corps blew this up in the news and got everyone's attention. It's all their fault really.

Spore piracy was their fault, assassin's creed 2 piracy was their fault, and all the other protections that stopped legit buyers from playing was their fault because the pirates always win and get to play while everyone else can bitch and moan about why their game doesn't work.

Downloading entire CD's was their fault because they play 2 good songs and then you buy the CD and find out the rest of it is garbage. Piracy is a result of their own doing.

korsen

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Do we really need to cite Modern Warfare 2 sales and piracy figures? It's purely their business model. Welcome to 1998 Warner Bros.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I can't believe that somebody would do that for $26000 (~$13 an hour) a year. You could earn more than that in an entry level warehouse job. Not to mention that you also have to sell your soul to WB.

And what's with "performing trap purchases of pirated product and logging results"? You can actually PAY for pirated content?? What's the point?

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Wow, I think what is most disapointing is that anyone who posts a comment for piracy seems to get alot of thumbs up, and anyone who says anything hinting that piracy is wrong gets all thumbs down (many get hidden).

Pirating to me for personal use is kind of morally riding the line (Pirating and selling is absolutely wrong). For example, in the days when napster was around, I downloaded music just like everybody else. But, in the back of my head I always felt I shouldn't be doing this. When they took it away, I just felt they took away something I shouldn't have been doing in the first place.

Anyone who is sitting there crying how you have the right to steal by torrenting is just kidding themselves (grow up already).

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
The best way to combat piracy is to make a digital distribution system that is easier to use and faster than pirating and not overpriced. It takes about 1 minute to find a torrent for any popular movie and about 45 minutes to download.

If they can come up with a service that allows me to watch almost any movie I can find online (with a good searching/browsing interface), let me watch the movie while its downloading at my max connection speed, let me store a copy of the movie on my machine with no DRM restrictions (and not remove it if I cancel my subscription), and provide this for $10 / month, I'll subscribe.

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]If they can come up with a service that allows me to watch almost any movie I can find online (with a good searching/browsing interface), let me watch the movie while its downloading at my max connection speed, let me store a copy of the movie on my machine with no DRM restrictions (and not remove it if I cancel my subscription), and provide this for $10 / month, I'll subscribe.[/citation]

They already have that with netflix. It works pretty good but netflix is limited by the movie industries that the movies have to be out on DVD/Blue Ray for at least a month or 2 before being available for download. Some new movies aren't allowed period because of their popularity.

I think the studios are also limiting the availability with the redbox rentals as well as the blockbuster kiosks (meaning they need to be out for a month or 2 first)

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I actually think that the whole movie torrent craze will eventually become less and less with the introduction of these media boxes (like boxee box). Pretty soon, the movies will take the same path as music has with itunes. Between the gaming consoles now being able to download movies at a price, netflix, and the upcomming media boxes, the demand for bandwidth will also increase. The main thing that will keep people torrenting is the wait. People who dont want to pay at the box office seem to like downloading a crappy handheld video of the movie, rather than waiting for it to be out on DVD/BD

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]chomlee[/nom]They already have that with netflix. It works pretty good but netflix is limited by the movie industries that the movies have to be out on DVD/Blue Ray for at least a month or 2 before being available for download. Some new movies aren't allowed period because of their popularity.I think the studios are also limiting the availability with the redbox rentals as well as the blockbuster kiosks (meaning they need to be out for a month or 2 first)[/citation]

Does netflix allow you to keep a copy of the movie on your computer (in a universally acceptable format with no drm)? Does it also have TV shows? If both of those are answered yes, and their price is low, then as soon as they start getting content on time, I'm there. Of course with torrents, you can usually get a DVD quality version of a movie months before it is released in stores.

So you are saying that people no longer pirate music since itunes started selling 1 dollar songs?? :lol:

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
I think the big names in the industry need to stop fooling themselves thinking that sending in a "secret agent" to monitor and send out warnings will change anything. The change needs to be made on their end.

I know a bunch of ppl who used to download movies and games via torrents who now gladly pay their $10 a month to netflix and just stream them, and buy up games when they're on sale or reasonably priced on Steam. The movies they pirate now days are only the ones that arent available on netflix. Expand on this or create a similar service that offers more of the entertainment people want (and when they want it, not half a year later) and I think that will reduce piracy more than Mr. Secret Agent ever could.

All of you people out there who have such hatred towards "pirates", I don't think you realize the change (for the better) that piracy is bringing about in the entertainment industries. I think that, back in the day, Napster made music companies aware of how convenient and popular digital distribution is, which led to all the different legit methods and services that you can download/stream music through. Torrents are doing much the same with the game and movie industries, demanding them to change their archaic pricing and content delivery methods to better match the current economy and technology.

I'm not justifying piracy, but it HAS undeniably brought about some changes for the better.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]They aren't asking you to hack into a database. They are asking you to infiltrate these private torrenting sites and relay information about them back to WB. This is no different than a police officer going undercover and it certainly isn't illegal.[/citation]
Well, in Canada, if someone asks if you're a cop, and you say no, then any evidence is thrown in the trash. Assuming I remember correctly.
[citation][nom]maydaynomore[/nom]Hey Pirates: Thank you for DRM! I dare you to read Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. Its a 50 yr old book, so it doesn't address piracy directly, but I bet you half the pirates would stop stealing after reading it. Who am I kidding. 90% of all pirates would get lost within the first 2 pages. Go ahead and steal. You are just hurting yourself and your fellow man. Piracy will be beaten eventually, but you won't like the way they will do it. For this, you will have only yourself to blame.[/citation]
Hey, I still spend A LOT of money on movies and games. My collection is ridiculous. Some years I've spent over $1,000 on games, so am I harming the industry if I share 1 or 2 in the process?

I they want to be effective they have to go after the closed small groups, because they're the ones that supply the torrents.
Torrent trackers are only a means of which to share the data, scene groups are the ones who keep it all alive. I doubt they very much care of TPB dies, another medium would be used.

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]OvrClkr[/nom]So you are saying that people no longer pirate music since itunes started selling 1 dollar songs??[/citation]

hehe, yeah right!! Obviously that is not true but it certainly has decreased. I think when napster was around, just about everyone was doing it because it was so easy. Luckily for the music industry "itunes" came along and showed the music industry how to make a profit online (while taking a huge profit for themselves of course). Now they have made it so easy that most people just pay for the music.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]Well, in Canada, if someone asks if you're a cop, and you say no, then any evidence is thrown in the trash. Assuming I remember correctly.[/citation]

I think that is just an urban legend spread by undercover cops.

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Let's see....
If you do it for "free" then it's a crime....
If you get paid for it it's just business, eh?
The Mafia would be hounded for racketeering but Warner Brothers thinks it's just business and is allowed to get away with criminal conduct.

Lovely.

Status
Not open for further replies.