Question Warning about Razer SoftMiner!

Jul 7, 2019
Most of you are probably familiar with miners however I was apparently not therefore this is just a post for people that may be looking to use this program.

I am aware of what miners do and how they affect your system however I was not aware that the Razer SoftMiner acts in the exact same way.

Razer SoftMiner is a small program that mines zSilver over time to be used for discounts and other products on the Razer store. Although it is a good idea and I have accumulated over 2000 free silver from just leaving it running, I did not realise the affect it has on your GPU.

I recently bought a 4k monitor and was struggling to get a stable 60fps in any game and for the life of me I could not figure out why. Turns out it was SoftMiner. Even when idle (not doing nothing) my GPU load was 100% constantly therefore playing games was having a serious impact on my GPU.

This also means that my core and memory clock speed were constantly high. If you are looking to use this program or do use it, I recommend only using it when you are idle at your PC or only doing minor tasks like watching videos etc.

Probably a really stupid post for some of you and most of you are probably like "dur" but not everyone is a genius in today's world :D

Jul 7, 2019
And what does this 'free silver" get you?

This is a mining program. It is doing exactly what it is supposed to do...run your system at 100%, to attempt to "mine" some cryptocurrency.
Which you can exchange for....what, precisely?

As said in the post, not everyone understands what a miner exactly does or how it affects components, no need to be so harsh.

Anyway.... You can exchange the zSilver for either discount codes up to 20 dollars off on the store or save them up for actually items like keyboards and mice. The pricing for the keyboards etc are way too overpriced and would take literally forever to save up for however I think it’s only 10000 for a 20 dollar off the razor store. It’s a good program to just leave running when not using your PC and if you actually like Razer products it’s very good to get a nice 20 USD off. However just don’t be an idiot like me and run the program 24/7 haha.

Jul 7, 2019
10,000 for a 20 dollar discount.
How long would it take to 'mine' that 10k, and how much electricity did it cost running the PC 24/7 at 100%?

TANSTAAFL.
To be honest, not very long. There are also other ways you can gain the silver too just by playing games. I think the program is called Razer Cortex. When playing specific games you can gain zSilver from playing them however the game rotation changes every now and then so you won’t always be able to earn silver from them.

If you were to primarily use the Miner to gain silver it’s hard to say how long it would take. It all depends on how often the individual uses the system. I had the program for a month max and gained over 2k. Now this was obviously running whenever my PC was on which as established is not good lol. However out of that month I maybe used my PC 3-4 days a week at max with around 4 hours (ish) a day. If you were to maybe idle it every time you go to sleep then you would probably gain even more that way anyway. However like you said power consumption is a problem. When running the program my GPU wattage alone was 150 so it does have a big affect on electricity.

USAFRet

Titan
4 days/week, 4 hours/day.
64 hours to earn 2k vSilver.

So, 320 hours to earn 10k.

10k gets you a $20 discount.

Your GPU at 150watts, rest of the system lets estimate at 200 watts
350 watts total, for 320 hours, to earn a $20 discount.
$13 in electricity + wear and tear on your system to earn a $20 discount.

Most of you are probably familiar with miners however I was apparently not therefore this is just a post for people that may be looking to use this program.

I am aware of what miners do and how they affect your system however I was not aware that the Razer SoftMiner acts in the exact same way.

Razer SoftMiner is a small program that mines zSilver over time to be used for discounts and other products on the Razer store. Although it is a good idea and I have accumulated over 2000 free silver from just leaving it running, I did not realise the affect it has on your GPU.

I recently bought a 4k monitor and was struggling to get a stable 60fps in any game and for the life of me I could not figure out why. Turns out it was SoftMiner. Even when idle (not doing nothing) my GPU load was 100% constantly therefore playing games was having a serious impact on my GPU.

This also means that my core and memory clock speed were constantly high. If you are looking to use this program or do use it, I recommend only using it when you are idle at your PC or only doing minor tasks like watching videos etc.

Probably a really stupid post for some of you and most of you are probably like "dur" but not everyone is a genius in today's world :D

At a cards default settings, you likely paid out more in electricity compared to what they gave you in "silver" Not to mention wear and tear on your GPU.

Jul 7, 2019
4 days/week, 4 hours/day.
64 hours to earn 2k vSilver.

So, 320 hours to earn 10k.

10k gets you a $20 discount.

Your GPU at 150watts, rest of the system lets estimate at 200 watts
350 watts total, for 320 hours, to earn a $20 discount.
$13 in electricity + wear and tear on your system to earn a $20 discount.
When you put it like that then yeah it’s not worth it but at the end of the day if electricity isn’t something you need to worry about financially then I don’t see why not.

Only thing is wear and tear

USAFRet

Titan
When you put it like that then yeah it’s not worth it but at the end of the day if electricity isn’t something you need to worry about financially then I don’t see why not.

Only thing is wear and tear
Someone is paying for that electricity.

If, for instance, this were my son ramping up my elec bill to 'earn' $20 in a discount for a new mouse/keyboard...I'd rather just give him the $20.
Of course, in exchange for cutting the grass or similar.

Reactions: dudio