WARNING - Realtek RTL 8185 54M Wireless LAN Network Adapter

Byros

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
Having endless problems with this wireless network adapter,
It will freeze my PC for a few a seconds every now and then.

This card just doesn't work well, I'm using Windows XP SP3,
I've already formatted and reinstalled everything 3 times,
I've used the drivers that came in the CD and
then the latest from Realtek's website none of them solve
the issue, card willl freeze everything on the PC for a few seconds,
mouse & keyboard included. If you disable the card everything
works fine and computer can run everyhting without any
problem whatsoever.

Seeing as how I'm not the only one with these problems,
(use google and you shall see...)
it is clear these Realtek 8185 wireless cards are not working,
they should be recalled and our money refunded.

For the record, I'm never going to touch much less buy anything with
a Realtek chipset inside wether it be wireless cards or motherboards.

The offending hardware is:
Realtek RTL8185 54M Wireless LAN Network Adapter

Complete Specs:
http://152.104.125.41/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=1&Level=6&Conn=5&ProdID=35

Stay away from it like the plague, you've been warned.

G

I too am having problems with the Realtek RTL8185 54M Wireless LAN Network Adapter in my laptop. I'm using Windows XP SP3. The wireless signal disapears periodically & will not return unless windows is restarted. Similarly, if the lid to my laptop is put down or computer put in hibernate mode, wireless will not return unless computer is restarted. There are 2 other laptops in our house using the same wireless nework with no probs. Booooooo. What a load a poo!

Byros

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
Good to know even the laptop version has issues,
I will try to test mine with a different OS (maybe
Win 98 or Win7 just for completeness sake) though
it will take quite a few days since I'm injured at
the moment and can't go through a full OS installation.

Thanks for sharing

dancingron

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
HI, hate to say"ME TOO", but me too. It runs for a while and then drops out, and when I try to correct or restore the card it locks up my system completely and I have to do a hard shut-down...then I get the serious problem message from microsoft and wonder if my system has suffered a data problem too...I email tech support at realtek, but they haven't responded yet...I will try my laptops USB card the next time I lose my wireless connection and see how that works...other brand I might try???...dancingron

dhnike

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Me 2, I think this is a crap card, I even mail Realtek and after explaining to them that there are more people with the same problem and that I have installed the latest driver from the website the ass mails me a link to their wedsite to try the new driver on the web and is that does not not work the I should let him know. Can't they read!!!!!! I have installed and un-installed this card 20+ times I even moved it to a other slot but I 'm at the point of wacking it with a Hammer.

DHNIKE

Comp Pro

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
I too am having problems with the Realtek RTL8185 54M Wireless LAN Network Adapter in my laptop. I'm using Windows XP SP3. The wireless signal disapears periodically & will not return unless windows is restarted. Similarly, if the lid to my laptop is put down or computer put in hibernate mode, wireless will not return unless computer is restarted. There are 2 other laptops in our house using the same wireless nework with no probs. Booooooo. What a load a poo!

Realtek is the worst. Every product of theirs is problematic. I unfortunately did not realize this was the brand of NIC that HP was shipping in their laptops. Anytime they have posted an update either through windows update or through Intel it totally stops the laptops from operating. I work with software and spent about 10 hours trying to make the updates work. I untimately found that their updates consistently call files that they dont supply or are not properly specified. The result is the registry gets erroneous pointers which ultimately leaves the laptop with a non functioning nic.

I have had lots of contact with RealTek in Taiwan and they have never given me one helpful response. They will tell me to install the vista or xp update but their Vista update is erroneously labeled on their website as the Win7 update. These errors are constant. Their network diagnostic software also installs with enough bugs to render it useless. I supplied them with extensive logs showing them the calls to non existent files and did not receive a single response.

I just put forth a request for bid for laptops for our sales force. I specifically outlined in the bid request that the laptops could contain ZERO Realtek products. Our entire IS department have never been able to get a single good piece of software (update) or an intelligent support response from them. They obviously do not have a concept of customer service or any competence in supplying properly tested products. This is a chop shop looking for the biggest profit while giving nothing in return.