Warranties on PC parts

engledowjoe

Prominent
Nov 17, 2017
Hi, so I am going to be buying a new custom PC, however I'm not sure whether I'm going to get a business like overlockers to build it for me and pay more for the service and a warranty on the PC, or if I should just buy the parts myself.

This will be a first time build for me, but I'm confident that with some research and preparation it will be easy enough, but my only worry is that while I'm building it i accidentally do something wrong and mess something up, so my main question is:

If i buy all the individual parts and build it myself, do the warranties for the individual parts become invalid, or if something doesn't can i get a replacement.

Thanks for you time and any help :)

Solution
Putting the computer together yourself does not invalidate the warranty off the bat. If damage occurs to say your motherboard or CPU because you dropped it or spilled water on it, most warranties do not cover accidental damage like that, and I don't think builders would cover that either.

The major difference in the warranty process between an established builder and doing it yourself is who you will be contacting to warranty your computer. For a good builder, you will contact them and may have to pay shipping and they will take care of the process for you of testing, returning and replacing the affected parts. It is likely that they will have another part on hand or a comparable part that will be used instead of waiting for the part...

MusenMouse

Respectable
Mar 24, 2016
Putting the computer together yourself does not invalidate the warranty off the bat. If damage occurs to say your motherboard or CPU because you dropped it or spilled water on it, most warranties do not cover accidental damage like that, and I don't think builders would cover that either.

The major difference in the warranty process between an established builder and doing it yourself is who you will be contacting to warranty your computer. For a good builder, you will contact them and may have to pay shipping and they will take care of the process for you of testing, returning and replacing the affected parts. It is likely that they will have another part on hand or a comparable part that will be used instead of waiting for the part to ship from the manufacturer

When you build something on your own, you will be contacting the manufacturer. Depending on who you ask, every manufacturer is a saint or the devil. Just know that paying for shipping is the norm, and you will need to prove to the manufacturer that is indeed their part that is not working, which can be a headache depending on who you get on the phone.

My best advice is that if you are building the computer yourself, try to buy and build your computer within a month. If you bought the parts from Amazon or Newegg and there is any issue at all, they will usually take a return and replace the part or refund you. It really helps because they will usually be able to help you with the return process much faster than the manufacturer, and depending on who you bought the parts from, free return shipping might be available.

Solution