Question Warranty Claim for Dead GPU from mouse urine

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANXsucks

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2016
My GPU died because some mouse got inside my PC through the GPU brackets of my case that were left opened and pissed on my GPU. I cleaned the backplate but there are some noticeable rust at some parts. A technician advised me to use paint thinner on a toothbrush to clean the rust so they won't notice my GPU had mouse piss. Is this legit?

Lutfij

Titan
I don't think you should go any further with paint thinner...unless you want to ruin the PCB of the GPU and leave more reason for them to point a finger at you for negligence. As it stands you ere neglectful for letting the case opened. Might want to contact the seller as well as the GPU maker to get this resolved. If they disregard the warranty, lesson learned the hard way.

ANXsucks

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2016
I don't think you should go any further with paint thinner...unless you want to ruin the PCB of the GPU and leave more reason for them to point a finger at you for negligence. As it stands you ere neglectful for letting the case opened. Might want to contact the seller as well as the GPU maker to get this resolved. If they disregard the warranty, lesson learned the hard way.

The case was left opened because the GPU brackets in my <Mod Edit> case cannot be attached back after removal. But I definitely agree that I neglected it.

Would my best bet be to just contact the seller, not mention mouse piss, and hope they don't notice anything?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 4, 2021
The case was left opened because the GPU brackets in my <Mod Edit> case cannot be attached back after removal. But I definitely agree that I neglected it.

Would my best bet be to just contact the seller, not mention mouse piss, and hope they don't notice anything?

People tend to lie when returning hardware they messed up (used to work electronic referb). You could lie (if that's your thing). Personally I'd be honest, since some places are lax on returns.

USAFRet

Titan
My GPU died because some mouse got inside my PC through the GPU brackets of my case that were left opened and pissed on my GPU. I cleaned the backplate but there are some noticeable rust at some parts. A technician advised me to use paint thinner on a toothbrush to clean the rust so they won't notice my GPU had mouse piss. Is this legit?
Warranty is for manufacturers defects.
Not things that you or your pet rodent cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.