Question Washed-out screen when turning on Windows 11 HDR ?

Davy Bramer

Commendable
Nov 24, 2020
Hello, so I recently started messing around with the HDR settings for my monitor. The Current Monitor I have is the Acer Nitro (144hz, 1080p), it does come with HDR technology. The problem I am experiencing is a washed-out look when turning on the windows 11 HDR setting. Turning on the Windows HDR setting makes my monitor look very washed-out, then turning on both my monitor HDR setting and the windows 11 setting does help, but it still is washed-out. I have tried a few things, such as changing my refresh rate and screen quality and adjusting brightness and monitor settings.

If anyone has any suggestions for what I could try let me know.

thanks

So when you enable hdr on your monitor, windows, apps, panels and other content that are not HDR it will look terrible. However when you play HDR videos and HDR games they should pop. You can help the look a little bit on non HDR content by playing with windows brightness settings, and monitor brightness and contrast settings. Basically I turn on HDR when I know I am about to play a HDR game or watch HDR videos.

Davy Bramer

Commendable
Nov 24, 2020
So when you enable hdr on your monitor, windows, apps, panels and other content that are not HDR it will look terrible. However when you play HDR videos and HDR games they should pop. You can help the look a little bit on non HDR content by playing with windows brightness settings, and monitor brightness and contrast settings. Basically I turn on HDR when I know I am about to play a HDR game or watch HDR videos.
Okay thanks, that’s good to know. One thing I do question, is how do I know the HDR is available. When I watch YouTube videos on my iphone 13, I can notice under the quality settings that HDR is available for some videos. This is not the case for my monitor, HDR is not available for videos that have it. Is there potentially a differnt kind of HDR technology in my monitor?

thanks again,

There are all kind of wacky standards, like Hdr 100 ,400 that use 10 bit HDR it makes things brighter and supposedly clearer for gaming. Then there is 1080p HDR and 4k Hdr it is all a mess on purpose to confuse the consumer in to thinking they need to get the next best model. A you tube video is based on 1080p HDR resolution, 1440 resolution and 4k resolution. You don't need a HDR 400 rated monitor to watch those videos.

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
This monitor has very low support for HDR or in other words no real support for HDR that’s why it looks washed out. I wouldn’t use it. Good HDR monitors are very expensive.

Davy Bramer

Commendable
Nov 24, 2020
This monitor has very low support for HDR or in other words no real support for HDR that’s why it looks washed out. I wouldn’t use it. Good HDR monitors are very expensive.
Yes, I'm realizing that now. On the Amazon page, there is no rating for HDR whatsoever. But I do have the option to turn it on, and Windows 11 does recognize something.
Anyways that you for all the help.

Davy Bramer

Commendable
Nov 24, 2020
There are all kind of wacky standards, like Hdr 100 ,400 that use 10 bit HDR it makes things brighter and supposedly clearer for gaming. Then there is 1080p HDR and 4k Hdr it is all a mess on purpose to confuse the consumer in to thinking they need to get the next best model. A you tube video is based on 1080p HDR resolution, 1440 resolution and 4k resolution. You don't need a HDR 400 rated monitor to watch those videos.
I see my issue now, but I do have other questions about HDR in general. For youtube specifically, is there any difference between 4k HDR and 1080 HDR, usually these quality options are offered but I don't see a difference visually? Also, are HDR, 100, 400, and 10-bit HDR all more premium versions of the 1080p HDR resolution, 1440 resolution, and 4k resolution offered by youtube?

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
Yes, I'm realizing that now. On the Amazon page, there is no rating for HDR whatsoever. But I do have the option to turn it on, and Windows 11 does recognize something.
Anyways that you for all the help.
Probably the typical 400 nits minimum HDR400 marketing “support”. If you want to enjoy real hdr like on your phone, you need a device with at least HDR600, better 1000 and a lot of lighting zones so it can dynamically brighten or darken all the different parts of the screen, otherwise it doesn’t make much sense. HDR is mainly about brightness and clarity and more detail.
I see my issue now, but I do have other questions about HDR in general. For youtube specifically, is there any difference between 4k HDR and 1080 HDR, usually these quality options are offered but I don't see a difference visually? Also, are HDR, 100, 400, and 10-bit HDR all more premium versions of the 1080p HDR resolution, 1440 resolution, and 4k resolution offered by youtube?
4K has higher resolution so the picture should be more crisp. HDR100 etc describes the brightness, 400 means 400 nits brightness, this goes up to 1000 and with high end stuff even higher. HDR10 is a standard that means it uses 10 bit color spectrum. The best one is Dolby Vision as it uses 12 bit color spectrum, which means, more shades of color. This is what the iPhone has.

If you are using a 1080p monitor, then the best you are going to view a video in you tube is a 1080p video. You can't watch a 4k video on a 1080p monitor and expect to see 4k quality. If you set the you tube setting to highest quality, it will automatically play the best resolution the video has available for the monitor you are using. In theory anyway.