Watch Dogs 2 Performance Benchmarks

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

You have to remember that DX11 under Windows 10 and Windows 7 is not the same as MS. messed up a lot of things with Windows 10 Kernel and therefore with DX11 to allow for crap called UWP. A crap is so bad that MS. is talking about some magic 'gamemode' they will enable with new Creates update to improve your gaming performance. It is rather a bad joke at this point, apparently DX12 fiasco is catching up with them. Enough said.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Why did you need 5 single posts for this? With W10 you can pack all this knowledge into one single post, trust me :)

And one secret:
I can also run DirectX5 (both modes, immediate and retained) under W10 without any performance losses to Windows 7 or XP. The problem is not the DX-version but the programmed code / used game engine. I worked so many years as programmer of professional 3D apps and the utilization of undocumented / not officially supported features can give you an advantage for a moment, but you never get a warranty for the next OS or DX version. I wrote also a lot of helping tools to keep older software alive. One of the best examples is Uleads Cool3D. With a view libraries it als runs under W10 and not bad ;)

G

I would if there was an edit button. Comment area on this site is one of the worst i have seen.

RomeoReject

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015
"Call it déjà vu and the next generation is doing simply the same: wailing."

For what it's worth, I'm in the camp of "I don't care which OS you used, because its effect on performance is negligible". But with that being said, was there a big push to "save" XP back in the day? I was quite a bit younger than, so I don't recall the era. I just remember that everyone on Vista was ecstatic to move over to 7. But that doesn't seem to have translated this time around (Both 8 and 10 have been resisted fairly hard by many).

In the interest of disclosure, I'm still on 64-Bit Windows 7, mostly because I prefer its aesthetic to that of 10.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Go to forum and you have two edit buttons ;)

@RomeoReject:
To understand me right: I have ZERO problems with W7 or 8.1, but I can't hear no longer all this "in the past all things were better". If someone hates the look an feel of W10, simply move to Server 2016. I minimized my W10 installations to a minimum of bling bling. I like the flat windows more than all this 3D frames. But this is only my taste and preference and says nothing about the performance. :)

All this update nonsense can be switched off and on. The spyware too. Together with a good router and the hosts file you can also kill every phone call to Microsoft. I changed the right management on my systems to be the real owner - if I need this. You can do a lot manually to speed up W10 - the same as MS will sell us in the near future as so-called game-mode in W10.

G

I saw that, i am lazy to do it but if moderator feels to clean that up for me or delete my comments i am fine either way.

Dark_Malignant

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016
Why is noone covering the stutters in this game while driving...From reddit forums and ubisoft's support page, I see lot of people are seeing this. The game is unplayable for me with a 970 and 4590, and during those stutters, the system utilization actually drops.These are present in equal amount even at the lowest settings and completely make the game unplayable.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Maybe this is from system to system different, because you can read in forums mostly posts from unsatisfied users and not from satisfied. This is nothing new. But it might be also interesting, how many percent of all users have this problems in real.

When I drive through the city (with traffic or not) with the slower 1151 test system (6700K Skylake) I get from time to time mentionable drops (not often) and it is also measurable, that in this time the SSD activity goes up - siginificant. If I remove the M2 (Samsung 960 Evo) and use a "normal" SATA III SSD the problem is more or less fixed. This issue appers as often as faster a VGA card works and with AMD more than with Nvidia drivers. The 970 may run in their technical based memory bottleneck and I'm shure this is one of the reasons for you.

What I would say: different rigs, different reasons. This all is too complex to write only one conclusion. :)

norune

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
There's differences between DX11 (and prior) and DX12, in essence most users should get an improvement when moving on to DX12, but then again Nvidia have had some issues with their drivers and 9xx architecture which might in some cases be the cause of some differences in performance between Windows 7 and 10 and DX11 and DX12.

But my own experience with my setup is a pretty huge boost from going W7 - W8.1 to W10 and in particular in games and it has been improving over time as more stable and faster drivers have been released for AMD cards.

In overall, at least for me, Windows 10 is a big improvement for my gaming experience.

christdostie

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017
Not having a bench on Win7
Not having a bench on the much talked about "high" compromise setting.
Not having a list of what above mentioned "compromise" setting at "high" to get a decent frame rate was a monstruous omission.

This is not a "THG"-worthy piece. It's only half-done, and published as click-bait for gamers on a budget. Promise of information which never comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.