Watch Jane Unbox the BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]lpedraja2002[/nom]I'm sorry but this is not entirely true. I've been using a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 for over a week with the latest "project butter" update and it still gets the occasional choppiness, though much improved from before.[/citation]

Try a new ROM, samsung probably biased the processor throttle towards battery life and not performance. That or samsung's processors aren't as good as qualcomm's snapdragon line.

Like i said, my phones are blazing fast and smooth. Zero Choppiness.

[citation][nom]sacre[/nom]As the other guy said, the choppiness is still there. Less then before, but still there regardless. I used to have an iPhone 4S, the reason I enjoyed it was because of its smooth interface. Thats all i need in a phone - for it to respond quickly and do its job. Sure you can sport awesome hardware in a phone but it doesn't mean jack unless the software is doing its job.[/citation]

You can't take 1 user experience and relate that to all android phones on the market. Mine are nice and smooth, my Optimus G is blazing fast. It could be software coding on samsung's part to bias towards battery life or the Samsung 4412 processor sucks. Not all phones are created equal, the Optimus G has the best quad processor on the market right now. My evo 3d was also nice and smooth.

It could also be that i don't add a ton of apps to my phone. Only the handful that i use most often.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]Maybe he was a bit too harsh (ya think?)... but I think there is something he was trying to get across, maybe it was where you did it? To me the whole "presence" came across as you weren't interested or maybe you were nervous? Anyway, how does the phone run!? Do you like it?[/citation]

Sorry it came across that way, I was definitely not nervous, nor was I not interested. Though I was disappointed by the lack of 'new gadget' smell. I don't know how they've managed to get rid of it but I want it back!

With regards to impressions, that's a whole separate article, my friend! I think this might be what you're looking for:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Blackberry-10-Z10-Review-Hands-on-Impressions,20808.html

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]lpedraja2002[/nom]I'm sorry but this is not entirely true. I've been using a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 for over a week with the latest "project butter" update and it still gets the occasional choppiness, though much improved from before.[/citation]
Should've gotten a windows device if you eant to avoid the choppiness. The lumia 920 beside me feels responsive at all times and the htc trophy (wp7 anno 2010) did too.
With that said, I've found more bugs in the windows 8 phone this month than in the wp7 os during the last two years though. So I suppose sometimes choppiness is the better option. If the wp7 development is an indication of how wp8 will work though, it'll be the best os on the market as soon as the first big patch arrives.

razzb3d

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]sacre[/nom]i'm happy that blackberry is trying to make a come back. Android phones have a choppy slow to respond at times interface, Apple has a I-cant-customize-jack interface so i'm hoping Blackberry pulls out some nice moves to force the other companies to step it up. More competition means better products for us.[/citation]

I don't know where you come up with this shi*. My 2 year old Xperia Play and my 1 year old LG optimus black are extremely fluent. The only "choppy slow" interface android phone I've owned was an old HTC Wildfire.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]razzb3d[/nom]I don't know where you come up with this shi*. My 2 year old Xperia Play and my 1 year old LG optimus black are extremely fluent. The only "choppy slow" interface android phone I've owned was an old HTC Wildfire.[/citation]
There are many choppy android phones around.
I've seen htc wildfire s, htc one, sony something or other crap thing, LG something that my parents were unfortunate enough to have two of. They all felt slow when navigating. Even the galaxy tab we had for testing felt slow, and it was not even a day old.

I'm not saying all android devices feel slow and choppy, but just because you've gotten lucky a few times doesn't mean it never happends.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]Though I was disappointed by the lack of 'new gadget' smell. I don't know how they've managed to get rid of it but I want it back![/citation]Ah, I think I can help with that. Just put it in the oven, set it to 350, and fire it up for half an hour! You'll be smelling new gadget for weeks.

Also, word to the wise: I unbox better when I've had a few.

[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]There are many choppy android phones around.I've seen htc wildfire s, htc one, sony something or other crap thing, LG something that my parents were unfortunate enough to have two of. They all felt slow when navigating. Even the galaxy tab we had for testing felt slow, and it was not even a day old.I'm not saying all android devices feel slow and choppy, but just because you've gotten lucky a few times doesn't mean it never happends.[/citation]

Many of your free and cheap phones will be choppy for obvious reasons. No different than a PC when you buy low end. Also, the wildfire S is an older device, designed around 2.3 froyo. Operating efficiency wasn't addressed until 4.0. The One X my sister has doesn't show any signs of being slow or choppy. Your parents more than likely have the free or low cost LG phones which have cheap processors.

The only low end devices that run quick and smooth are windows phone 7/8's. But that's because you take out all the eye candy, and all you have are crappy tiles which are quite boring. But this OS does run fluently on low end devices.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]Sorry it came across that way, I was definitely not nervous, nor was I not interested. Though I was disappointed by the lack of 'new gadget' smell. I don't know how they've managed to get rid of it but I want it back!With regards to impressions, that's a whole separate article, my friend! I think this might be what you're looking for: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/B [...] 20808.html[/citation]Thanks for the link.

LOL @ new gadget smell. I'd be pretty upset as well. About 18 years ago my father gave me his "Betamax" Sony Camcorder... the thing was at least 10 years old and still smelled brand new in it's case. Nothing like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.