Watch Nvidia's GeForce Gaming Celebration Here, Official Turing Announcement Expected

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
There's always a guy that needs some bizarre specs to satisfy his work needs.

But really though, if 11GB or 8GB of memory isn't enough then you're going to have to use the Quadro versions of these cards. I bet that Nvidia doesn't want to overlap its gaming cards with its workstation cards so it keeps them separate by limiting the amount of VRAM on gaming side.

Dantte

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011

Lets get this straight, you expect Nvidia to support VESA (an inferior technology), but you dont think AMD should have to support G-sync?

- just because its an open standard, doesnt mean its any good or everyone should have to implement it. *FYI : VESA is technically not open, to implement it and say a monitor is VESA compliant, a company has to be a member of VESA which cost thousands each year.

I'm just hoping AMD has a competitive 7nm video card to compete with the GTX2060. I'm not looking to spend $800, but $300-$400 is ok for me.

Krazie_Ivan

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012

1- Adaptive / Freesync & G-sync are effectively the same to the viewer. neither offers notable improvement over the other, nor does either have notable drawbacks that the other overcomes. this has been tested thoroughly... like, horse beatingly thorough.

2- AMD does not have the option to support G-sync. Nvidia will not allow it, as it's incentive for their userbase to be locked into an ecosystem that requires a further purchase to use the feature (the unit itself, built into the monitor). comparatively, there is absolutely nothing keeping Nvidia from supporting Adaptive / Freesync (aside from the loss of R&D/mfg/marketing funds already invested in G-sync, and profits).

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

I really really want AMD and Freesync to succeed but I don't feel the need to buy an AMD GPU unless they become more competitive with Nvidia.
Nvidia is acting like Apple using proprietary technologies and charging incredible amounts for their products (according to the recent rumors). I hate Apple for doing this but if there's no good alternative then I have to take the hit.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Hope it will have info about lowered prices on the NVlink bridges if they are indeed used for SLI. As it stands they will charge what 0.5 2080TI will cost if the rumors about the gfx card prices are true - 500$ for a frigging bridge WTF

1. They are similar in what they do but not the same in every way. For example, all GSYNC monitors support LFC while this is an optional (normally in the more expensive and closer to GSYCN monitor cost) feature for Freesync. Every panel and monitor has to pass nVidias specifications while Freesync is a free for all.

However I have hear that Freesync 2 will not be as open as Freesync was and that it will require certain features in all displays and AMD will be more heavily involved in the quality of the product. This will probably increase the cost of a Freesycn 2 monitor vs a Freesync monitor.

So to sum it up, similar technologies but GSYNC is better in that every display supports every feature available. All people have to do is decide what design they want.

2. Beyond the R&D costs etc its about control of the environment. As much as I hate Apple their absolute control allows for a more consistent experience, although recently their software has had a lot of issues. nVidia controlling the hardware and quality of the products allows for them to provide a much better experience instead of having some low end brand put out a crappy display that doesn't make the gaming experience any better.

I honestly think AMD needs to be more like this. Not super strict but instead of always using some open feature control some part of the product to allow for an overall better experience for the end user.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009

Most of the new monitors have freesync tech. NVIDIA is a member of VESA. I have two Freesync gaming monitors from Benq and Samsung (Freesync2 HDR) and both perform super amazing with Radeon Nano. I had Asus gsync screen, which had huge light bleeding and terrible colors, that I had to return. Your arguments just don't make any sense. I'm pissed because I love GTX 1080 Ti, but I have to suffer from screen tearing for no apparent reason.

Dantte

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011

Cool story bro, needs more dragons!

#1 you compared the new tech from AMD (FS2-HDR) vs old tech from Nvidia. Thats like judging whos best when comparing a 1080 vs a R9.
#2 light bleed and color issues are on the monitor manufacture and have nothing to do with Gsync or FS.
#3 "but I have to suffer from screen tearing for no apparent reason" wrong, there is a reason you are getting screen tearing... just because you 'dont want to pay for the fix' or value it, is not an excuse.

Giroro

Splendid
Freesync owns the monitor market, G-sync is dead. Almost no new monitors being released support G-Sync, most of which are those overpriced curved monitors that nobody wants to buy.
I mean curved TVs failed pretty conclusively. It's a bummer that they are wasting everybody's time by pushing them on smaller panels where they make even less sense. But not as big of a bummer as ultra-wide monitors in general. Vertical space is 1000x more important than width when it comes to pretty much anything you would want to do with a computer, other than gaming. Even reading a webpage, you'll get the exact same amount of content with extra wasted padding on the sides.

musrocs14

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2012
Freesync is getting adopted by the TV manufacturing companies and that will push the development and overall quality of Freesync. No manufacturer wants to pay for Gsync because it is too expensive and makes it even more discouraging for people to purchase and for manufacturers to make their profit.

Stop being an Nvidia fan boy and accept both positive and negatives of both brands. All they want is your money and we will see what happens in the next year or 2.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009

They're $599 directly from Nvidia. Not sure where you got your price, but I doubt the bridges are discounted that much when sold through a 3rd party.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/design-visualization/quadro-store/

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009

The more expensive the product, typically the higher the margins. When a Gsync monitor costs $200-300 more than the freesync monitor, you can be certain most of that price difference is not going to Nvidia. That makes monitor manufacturers happy.

As for TV manufacturers going with freesync. Of course they are. TV's are not targeted at PC gamers, there's no reason to put a gsync module in a TV when no game console supports it. That doesn't mean that we aren't going to see large format screens with gsync support.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/big-format-gaming-displays/

Without even seeing one, there is little doubt these will be better for gaming than any TV that has ever been released. That said, you'll probably need to take out an auto loan to afford one.

bignastyid

Titan

You need to look at the Geforce RTX NVLink bridge($79) not the GP100 NVlink which is for the Quadro card.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/graphics-cards/rtx-2080-ti/

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009

Thanx for the link. Obviously everyone was getting their price from the Quadro version not knowing the RTX version was up on Nvidia's website. What on earth is the difference between the 2 bridges that accounts for the $520 price difference?

Also, that's still $80 for an SLI bridge. Something that used to be free with the purchase of a card. Without any indication it will be supported better than SLI is now, it still seems like a totally waste of money at "only" $79.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS