Water Cooling - Do I have the right stuff?

ddotroq

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
Hello All,

I am planning to setup my system with a water cooling system; first time for me. I'd like all your help before I place my order.

This is my current setup:

Asus P6T Deluxe
Intel i7 940
Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 295
Velociraptor 300GB
G.Skill 6GB GDDR3
Corsair 850W PSU
Antec Nine Hundred Two

This is what I have in mind to order:

VID-NX295 (GeForce GTX 295) [no nozzles]
Swiftech Apogee GTZ Extreme Performance CPU Waterblock
C&C P6T Full Board Water Block Set
HW Labs Black Ice GTX360 - Black
Swiftech MCP655™ 12 VDC PumpPreamble
Swiftech MCRES Micro Revision 2 reservoir
Durelene PVC tubing 7/16in. ID 5/8in. OD
Scythe "ULTRA KAZE" 120 x 38 mm Case Fan - High
Bitspower G 1/4in. Silver Shining Fitting for 1/2in. Tubing
Petra'sTech PT_Nuke Concentrated Biocide (10mL)

Is there anything here unnecessary or something I should change? I'd like to be able to safely overclock to 3.8 ghz, and a nice overclock to the vid card.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dave

phaedrus06

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2007
Well damn. You certainly have been thorough. In any case you CAN use all that stuff but you also could accomplish your water cooling using a pre-made kit which are not necessarily as good as custom ones like yours. However, the same visa versa can be said of custom sets so really it all comes down to know how of the person setting it up.

If you follow this link below they have some good and water cooling to start with if you want a simpler set up:

http://www.crazypc.com/products/cooling/watercooling.htm

Oh, and as an aside, if it leaks which can and will happen according to Murphy's Law your system is screwed so I recommend using mineral oils to replace the water. These work just as well but it does not fry your system in case of a leak.

+1 on your research. Good job picking your parts. Now you need some clamps and fans, as well.

+1 on DO NOT USE MINERAL OIL. Check, doublecheck, and recheck your conections and you don't need to worry about leaks. With the 7/16" hose, as I am sure you probably already know, it will fit tight to the 1/2" barbs, and for the most part, you won't have to worry about using clamps, although I would do so anyway.

I would recommend that you take it easy on overclocking both the vid card and cpu in the same loop. That can be quite a load on the radiator, and keeping it cool could take some serious fans. This means more noise.

You may consider a second loop for the video, if you find the heat or noise is too much.

Good luck on your build. Let us know how it goes!!!