water cooling i7 4790k

dan saunders

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
i just bought a..
i7 4790k with a closed loop corair liquid cooler im unsure if i should change the water in it and wondered how reliable they are. well i think its aclosed loop has a fan/radator with 2 tubes going to a clamp onto the mb ?

im running republic of gamers motherboard (maximus rangers vii)
16gb hyperfury ram
gtx 970ti nvidia
1tb ssd

my basic temps are around 32ish when idel too.

any help would be amazing .dan

Solution
Your corsair doesn't have the USB plug connector on the pump so maybe H55-60-75 series, hard to tell from picture
It is a closed loo, and there is no need to change water inside it, it is self contained.
your setup should fit the NXTZ cases, just pay attention of top/rear fans location and how much space there are once fans are mounted.

HumdrumPenguin

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
I have a similar setup, if not the same, to yours. It's a 4790k with a corsair H100i on it. I had another H100i before this, and I've had this one for the last 3 years, so you should be fine. You can overclock all cores to about 4.5 to 4.7 on the average 4790k, depends on how lucky you are with the silicon lottery. Try not to go beyond 1.3v and you should be good to go.

When running stress programs (synthetic benchmarks), remember that temps will go higher than what normally would with games or other programs. Keep voltage constant with stress testing, then adjust it after getting a stable overclock to boost the voltage only when needed.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
In a closed loop system (you need to list exactly what you have) their no way or reason to change the fluid.
I don't like them because if the pump fails your PC is 100% down.
On air their only the fan to fail and in a pinch you could use a case fan their.
I went from a H100 on my 4790K that was used on my old 2500K to a Cryorig R1 air cooler it cools just as good , no chance of a pump failure, or leaking.
I see no reason for me to ever go back to water on my own PC.

dan saunders

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
HumdrumPenguin and Zerk2012 thank you for your help and fast reply's,im going to post a picture of the cooler (loop) i have https://ibb.co/npdjLR
please dont laugh at the dust lol air spray ordered today, well the guy i brought from last night said he changed the liquid in september i was running crisis last night and rubber pipes felt cold ? HumdrumPenguin im going to give that a try later really love the pc came from a i5 4590 and gtx 750ti so playing beam ng on this made me smile on ultra.Zerk2012 true about these pumps im just unsure what model i have i just uploaded a pic speak soon guys.dan

dan saunders

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014

HumdrumPenguin and Zerk2012 thank you for your help and fast reply's,im going to post a picture of the cooler (loop) i have https://ibb.co/npdjLR
please dont laugh at the dust lol air spray ordered today, well the guy i brought from last night said he changed the liquid in september i was running crisis last night and rubber pipes felt cold ? HumdrumPenguin im going to give that a try later really love the pc came from a i5 4590 and gtx 750ti so playing beam ng on this made me smile on ultra.Zerk2012 true about these pumps im just unsure what model i have i just uploaded a pic speak soon guys.dan

dan saunders

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014

I use a 4790K with a 2400MM From Enermax Liqmax S240 and My Cpu at 100% usages @ 4.7Mhz runs sustained while gaming, and it barely breaks a sweat at 67'c

I used to run the same 4790K on a Enermax Liqmax 120S witrh a push and a pull fan on the radiator and same game same settings the temps ran higher about 72-73c.

I used to Run the same 4790K on a Enermax ETS-N30R-HE air cooled and @ 4.7 I was in the 80-85c range.

So yeah I believe in water cooled.

HumdrumPenguin and Zerk2012 thank you for your help and fast reply's,im going to post a picture of the cooler (loop) i have https://ibb.co/npdjLR[/quote

I suggest you add a fan between case and radiator as well, to pull air thru, it will increase cooling.
see the image of my old s120mm setup
yes you have to use long screws to mount it thru case into radiator but if you have a pair of fans they will produce better airflow = better cool down
sKuzdh4.png

dan saunders

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
Well so far I've got the front corsair fan on the front of my case one on the inside of my door oppersit the CPU one big corsair fan on top of the case blowing air down and one built into the water radiator ?

dan saunders

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
That's amazing great diagram too I'll be sure to order some long screws and take meassments when home from work, would u have any idea what model my CPU cooler is and am I right in thinking its a closed loop I'm new to water cooling but so far looking at my temps I'm blown away comparing too my old i5 4590 will I need to refill water and also I'm looking to change the case for a smaller one with a window and add some cold cathodes many a nxtz case ? Thanks for all the help everyone great site

dan saunders

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
Perfect I'm going to upload some better pics of my cooler as I really want to track down the model thanks again everyone, answered all my questions have a much better understanding

dan saunders

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014

thats great ive found the model, im finding all these fans inside quite loud, there all corsair on the front on the case,one on the inside of the door directly oppersit the cpu and one above the cpu on top inside of case, i saw your setup pic, my questions is would it be reasonable to disconnect the door fan and leave the rest, also the top fan on the top of case is blowing air out ? shouldnt it be blowing cold air down into the case ?

dan saunders

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014

theirs a door fan (corsair) opposite the cpu, and a corsair on the front of the case im going to be takeing pc apart today as ive recived my air cans, should i take the whole closed loop out ?