[SOLVED] Water Cooling Upgrade Compatibility?

ak2000spooky

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
I was finally able to get my hands on a RTX 3080 and need to update my cooling components.

My current setup: two rads (EK XTC 140 and EK XTC 240), an EK Supremacy EVO CPU water block (Nickel plated), an EK GTX 1080 water block (nickel plated), EK nickel fittings, PrimoChill 3/8"/1/2" tubing, and an EK XRES D5 Vario pump combo. I've been using distilled water and PT-Nuke for years.

While taking everything apart and flushing the system I noticed that the nickel plating is flaking on the CPU water block. The tubing looks fine. The pump/res unit is working well. The rads produced a few tiny particles when I flushed them, but the water from the system was clear. Some of the fittings have signs of corrosion, but not much... some also have some kind of red coloring on the inside... not sure if that is also a type of corrosion.

I'm planning on using a Corsair XG7 water block for the 3080 and maybe a Corsair XC7 block for the CPU along with EK Cryofuel (clear). I'm going to run the same tubing, rads, and pump/res.

Is it fine to mix nickel plated water blocks with copper water blocks? Also, I assume that unless the rad is leaking, there is no need to upgrade the rads, right?