Question Water Damage - Won't power up

Jun 8, 2020
Hello everyone,
Earlier this morning my girlfriend spilled a glass of water on my desk top PC. After a few seconds the screen went blue and I went over and powered it off. I opened it up and saw a few small drops of water inside (most of the water seemed to spill OVER the computer and miss it rather than on it) which I cleaned up with a towel (I realize this is a mistake now, but I have never really had this happen before). There was one small drop of water on the motherboard, leaking into the top of the CPU housing which I tried to wipe up, otherwise there really wasn’t any water I could see. I tried to boot it up; the display was black and the graphics card’s fans did not spin (I couldn’t see any signs of water on it though), but all other fans spun, everything lit up (RAM, LEDs, etc.) and I got a CPU code 00. I then inspected the CPU + socket; no water I could see had gotten inside the socket. After clipping it back in I waited ~30 min until I was reasonably sure all the water had dried (hot summer day, AC off next to open window, only a few small droplets were ever visible anyways). Now I don’t get any power at all, no fans, lights, anything. Any advice/thoughts? Thanks.

Given your build is it possible water got into the power supply? If not then it's most likely the water shorted the motherboard. Can't speak for the other components, if you have a friend with a PC you can test the components on their computer, mainly the GPU.

What motherboard is it?

Jun 8, 2020
Given your build is it possible water got into the power supply? If not then it's most likely the water shorted the motherboard. Can't speak for the other components, if you have a friend with a PC you can test the components on their computer, mainly the GPU.

What motherboard is it?
Hey thanks for responding, it is an MSI X299 SLI plus. Looking at the evaporation patterns, it looks like there was a small drop of water in contact with one of the capacitors as well.

Jun 8, 2020
Hey thanks for responding, it is an MSI X299 SLI plus. Looking at the evaporation patterns, it looks like there was a small drop of water in contact with one of the capacitors as well.

What motherboard is it?
Also I could find no evidence of water near the PSU. The graphics card card is also directly above it and would likely block any water from reaching the PSU itself.

Jun 8, 2020
Also I could find no evidence of water near the PSU. The graphics card card is also directly above it and would likely block any water from reaching the PSU itself.
After letting it sit out in the sun for a few hours it powers up like before. All the lights and fans come on. EZ Debug lights up for CPU and S\K, CPU code 00. Only 1 of the graphics card's fans halfheartedly sputters on for a few spins before stopping, all lights on. Tried resetting CMOS but no luck. I have a feeling the motherboard is not doing so hot, hopefully the graphics card isn't dead as well.

After letting it sit out in the sun for a few hours it powers up like before. All the lights and fans come on. EZ Debug lights up for CPU and S\K, CPU code 00. Only 1 of the graphics card's fans halfheartedly sputters on for a few spins before stopping, all lights on. Tried resetting CMOS but no luck. I have a feeling the motherboard is not doing so hot, hopefully the graphics card isn't dead as well.

again, what motherboard is it and graphics card?