WATER ! DMG!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zzzmode

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
Seems my cat has spilled a lil bit of water in my pc as i was asleep the pc was on when it happened and when i woke up! there was no display on the screen so i removed video card ram sticks and dried everything even though i didnt see liquids in there im sure there was some left.. after a day i turned it on and i could hear it boot windows but the monitor is just fuzzy like an old tv

i know theres prob not much i can do but what could be the problem here?

Solution
You can try to clean it with a qtip and rubbing alcohol. Chances are the soda is bridging two points on the top of the card causing a short. Cleaning off the soda removes the short and it just might work.

Tiger has a gts250 for 75 with a 40 mail in rebate if you’re looking for a cheap upgrade.

zzzmode

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
Ok so i took my 9800 gt out and hooked up the onboard video and everything works fine but now i need a new video card or can i clean my 9800? Its pop not water =( i see a lil bit of sticky residue on the card

bucknutty

Distinguished
You can try to clean it with a qtip and rubbing alcohol. Chances are the soda is bridging two points on the top of the card causing a short. Cleaning off the soda removes the short and it just might work.

Tiger has a gts250 for 75 with a 40 mail in rebate if you’re looking for a cheap upgrade.

Solution

farrengottu

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
most rubbing alcohols have oils in them that corrode copper over time. in the future use isopropyl alcohol that is 85% or better. its just safer. and you should use some to get off the cheap alcohol you likely used.

Status
Not open for further replies.