[SOLVED] Water in my PC

Dec 8, 2020
Last night I moved my computer from were it normally is, to my living room so I could watch a movie. I regretfully set it below a spot on the ceiling that leaked. It was on all night. There was water on top this morning. I immediately unplugged it.The case has a vent on top with a screen and I thought maybe be it was fine, but no, water ran down into computer. I took off both side panels.

I found water on motherboard, front and back. And I think it may have gotten in power supply. The computer was on but asleep when I unplugged it. It was small droplets, I used a paper towel to gently dab up what I could see. But I know there must be water in places I cant reach.

I'm very worried. I'm set the computer, with its panels still off, in a closet. I dont want to plug it in until I'm completely sure all the water it gone. Should I be worried? And how long should i wait before plugging it in? Should I disassemble the computer to check parts? I built the computer last spring with the stimulus check I got. How screwed am i?

Solution
With the computer asleep, it'll just be on 5Vsb (standby) voltage on certain parts to keep the memory energized, among others. You can just disassemble everything and dry it off with a hair dryer. You can leave it out to dry for another day or so to make sure that everything is bone dry.

Bottom line is, you can't mess it up any further. Once it's absolutely dry, you can power it up with just the board and PSU, adding/connecting more parts with every successful POST.

Solidjake

Notable
Sep 6, 2019
Oh man, that's a first. I don't have recommendations but I hope everything works out.

My opinions (not recommendations) would be to get a new power supply in case and then it should be good. Not sure what electrical signals are sent to the other components when the computer is asleep so I can't tell you what other parts could have been compromised.

OrlyP

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
With the computer asleep, it'll just be on 5Vsb (standby) voltage on certain parts to keep the memory energized, among others. You can just disassemble everything and dry it off with a hair dryer. You can leave it out to dry for another day or so to make sure that everything is bone dry.

Bottom line is, you can't mess it up any further. Once it's absolutely dry, you can power it up with just the board and PSU, adding/connecting more parts with every successful POST.

Solution