Water/Liquid nytrogen coling??

Rokutasaka

Prominent
Jun 21, 2017
Allright i tought abot liquid nytrogen cooling and saw it was inposible geting it into a loop but what about if a watter cooling copper pipe goes into a small barel of liquid nytrogen cool downs the watter and comes out on the cpu to be warmed up again.
I know this is a stuipid question, but this is something i tought up during work and i am curiouse if this would work

Solution
Under normal conditions not physically possible... nitrogen is liquid at temperatures around 63-77K... water freezes at 273.15K... If you cool water with LN2, you get rock hard brick of ice. Might be possible by significant pressure changes or mediator (ie. LN2 cooling something, something cooling water) but that's out of my expertise.

Jan_26

Commendable
Jun 30, 2016
Under normal conditions not physically possible... nitrogen is liquid at temperatures around 63-77K... water freezes at 273.15K... If you cool water with LN2, you get rock hard brick of ice. Might be possible by significant pressure changes or mediator (ie. LN2 cooling something, something cooling water) but that's out of my expertise.

Solution

DanielSpaending

Reputable
Mar 17, 2016

The water would freeze, and not be able to move through the pipes, and thus not work. If you want everyday sub-freezing temps, the only way I know of is through phasechange, which in itself is loud, and very expensive.

also if you go below freezing or below room temperature even, you run into problems with condensation.
water or moisture is not your friend in the long run and it WILL happen if coolant (and thus cooler, pretty much no matter how well insulated towards outside) is over 10C cooler than the room temperature. (in normal room humidity)

tbrundy

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016
Iv always had an idea of an "ambience box" and just do a refrigerated loop with a line of dry filters. As a kind of "mock environment" pretty much installing it under a desk.... in short. A private room under my desk for my pc that's environmentally controlled...