Question Water on motherboard

Aug 18, 2022
So i built a watercooled pc back in January that I am going to have to break down so i can move out of my apartment. I just wondered if i get some water on the motherboard during the break down process how would i take care of that before putting my pc back together. Some people i have talked to say to rinse it off with rubbing alcohol while others say to just place it by a heater to dry out. Because of the desk my system was built into getting a few drops of water onto the motherboard is almost guaranteed .

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
One would assume that you utilized de-ionized water for the cooler, so IF that is the case just use paper towels and allow it to dry fully. The issue (when powered down) isn't really the water, but the minerals it leaves behind when it dries. If you used "tap" water or unpurified/ionized then swabbing with a high percentage alcohol would be recommended before power up, just to be sure.

Aug 18, 2022
One would assume that you utilized de-ionized water for the cooler, so IF that is the case just use paper towels and allow it to dry fully. The issue (when powered down) isn't really the water, but the minerals it leaves behind when it dries. If you used "tap" water or unpurified/ionized then swabbing with a high percentage alcohol would be recommended before power up, just to be sure.
I used a solution from ekwb. No not the mystic fog, just the clear stuff.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Oddly enough, you might use water as your first step. Get small amounts of deionized or distilled water and of rubbing alcohol, the latter preferably over 90%. Use soft swabs like Q-Tips. First step: use water to swab off any areas you suspect had that solution on them. Water is the ideal solvent for whatever was in that water-based mixture. Maybe use 3 or 4 clean fresh wet swabs. Second step: wipe over the same areas with alcohol swabs. The alcohol is an ideal solvent to dissolve and remove the water you used in the first step. What little alcohol is left on the board will evaporate quickly leaving nothing behind. The alcohol is used as a drying agent. This is an old trick in chemistry labs when you need to clean and dry glassware and make sure it IS dry with no water.

Reactions: Iitzyaboiwill