Water pump making loud buzzing sound

Demon of Elru

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2015
Hi everyone, my pump is making this horrible buzzing sound all of a sudden. This is the third time and the third different pump so its obviously something I am doing or not doing. Although I cannot figure out what, except for maybe I am using too much biocide and its causing it the gunk up in the pump? Below is a video of the sound. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuqX696pL8c&feature=youtu.be"][/video]

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Are you still getting flow? D5's are pretty quiet, so that sound is definitely not something I would expect. When you are filling your loops, are you making sure that your pump never runs without water? How long does each pump run before it makes this noise? Is the noise for all 3 the same?

The issue is environmental, so it isn't something where you would have 3 completely different pumps making the same noises just due to random (un)luck. Hopefully we can track down what is going on.

Can you post an image of your loop and list the loop order?

Demon of Elru

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2015

Yes flow seems to be uninteruppted and I was carefull to fill the pump before running it. The buzzing happens every 20 minutes or so then goes away. Yes I will take some pictures of my loop and post them here. Thank you for your help.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
This might be something you have already done, but have you opened the side of your case just to make sure the sound is coming from the pump and possibly not a wire or something hitting a fan blade? (I've had this happen to me).

Just curious - from your video it seems like it is from your pump but I wanted to see if you had checked for any other variables.

It goes away after 20 minutes or so? Does it occur at startup, or is there a reoccurring pattern to the noise?

Demon of Elru

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2015
It doesn't do it at startup but after 20 minutes or so it willl. Which lasts for a minute or two then it goes away. I can confirm that no wire is in the way though I wish it was that easy. My only thought is its the biocide causing it, maybe I am using too much?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
No, that shouldn't be an issue. It sounds like a failing impeller (from what I have heard on videos). An impeller can go bad from excessive cavitation of water, so that could be possible, but I would expect it to be an ongoing sound, not intermittent.

If you have time to test, it might be worth it to drain the loop and pull the pump out and test it with just a bucket (or reservoir), tubing and the pump in a very simple loop...if there is something wrong with the pump, it will continue to make this noise in this setup. If it doesn't, then there is something in your loop causing issues with how the pump interacts with the flow causing the noise issue...then we get to figure out what that is...

Demon of Elru

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2015
Yes I am replacing the tubing and going with a silver coil just in case. It has to be something on ky end, i highly doubt three pumps in a row had the exact same fault. Could an air bubble cause that sound?

Vellinious

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013

That sounds like a bad impeller...you're gonna need a new pump.

Demon of Elru

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2015
And I believe you were correct. Today it made this horrid sound like it was trying to start up then it kept shutting off. Like this buzzing but louder. I am assuming the impeller was damaged somehow. My question is how? I have replaced the pump so now this is my 4th, Obviously something I am doing or not doing is damaging the pump. I have ordered new tubing so tomorrow I will replace the tubing and if you would like I will post pictures of how its run. I now have the EK-XTOP D5 pump same as before just different top.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Can you post an image of your loop overall with a flow diagram? Based on what I saw in the video, it looks pretty simple and straight-forward, but something isn't right if you keep going through pumps. I had the same D5 running for 6 years and it still works.

Demon of Elru

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2015
Sorry for getting to you late but here is my new loop. Also I had to top off the reservoir a week later due to what I am guessing as air being pushed out of the loop and into the reservoir.

PC%20cooling.jpg

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8DVfNkPDMU"][/video]

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NenfOlz6cM"][/video]

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Have you checked the other D5's to see if they have any problems in an unrestricted test loop (like a bucket)?

How are the D5's mounted to the bottom of your case like that? Wondering if any of the strange buzzing or sounds could be coming from the mounting screws coming a bit loose?

Demon of Elru

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2015
Update, there was a small leak where the in the group of bubbles were forming. This was likely due to defective compression fittings. I have since purchased a new reservoir and the same issue was there. The monsoon fittings did not screw all the way in like the last reservoir. However the barbs it came with fit like a glove.

Apr 12, 2018
Hi Demon,
I have the exact same noise as you, and I tested the pump out of the loop, there is nothing wrong with the pump but when I put the pump into the loop, the noise starts. Just wonder how did you fix it in the end? Thx