Water spilled over my laptop - getting “power surge on the usb port” message

Sevelos

Reputable
Jan 25, 2015
I apologise that this question is very similar to several existing questions, however, there were no conclusive answers for me, so I'll try myself.

Some clean water was spilled over my laptop keyboard. I immediately turned it off and dried it under the air conditioner for a few hours. When I turned the computer on the next time, it gave me this message (4 times) - "power surge on the usb port".

Afterwards the computer seems to work normally except the 2 USB ports on its left side (where the water was spilled) - one port only gives electricity but no connectivity and the other port does nothing at all. The two ports on its right side seem to work fine.
Every half an hour or so, the message appears again 4 times. BTW - If I plug something into a left-side USB port while the computer is off and turn the computer on, it stays with a dark screen.

I tried uninstalling all USB drivers and rebooting, but that did not help. I guess it is a "hardware" problem or something physical with the ports.

So - any suggestions how to deal with this problem? Perhaps clean the USB ports somehow? Can I perhaps shut down only the ports on the right, to neutralize a bad one (no soldering)? Turn off the annoying message at least?

Solution
You should give it to repair shop and let them clean, cause water leaves trace (white something, not sure how to call it in english). I had dropped my lg spirit in water and left that white stuff, but it still works fine, had it in rice for over a week.

Or open it by yourself, clean it.
You should give it to repair shop and let them clean, cause water leaves trace (white something, not sure how to call it in english). I had dropped my lg spirit in water and left that white stuff, but it still works fine, had it in rice for over a week.

Or open it by yourself, clean it.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS