[SOLVED] Water spray, computer wont start at all, MB or CPU issue I think, please help

sumandahal

Reputable
Mar 1, 2017
Hey guys,
Hopefully someone can help me get out of this pickle. My pc is next to the window and I have some plants on the window sill. I didn't even think and was watering the plants and only when I came in I realised that the PC was not turning on :( It was a little bit of a spray not a huge amount of water but the damage is done obviously.
I have used the elimination method to find out which parts are working and which ones aren't. Here is what I have done so far:
The computer was not turning on at all when you clicked on the power button.

Opened up the computer
Test 1: PSU
Took out the PSU and used the paper clip method to test, PSU fans are running so assuming PSU is still ok.

Test 2: Motherboard
Took out the memory and GPU from the motherboard
Connected PSU 24 pin only to the motherboard and turned it on
The fans started and it ran for 3-4 seconds before turning off and then doing the same thing on repeat. Unsure what this means? Is this normal? The CPU is still on the motherboard
Assuming this means that the motherboard is ok?

Test 3: RAM/GPU
Added the memory back to the motherboard and started the PC, same thing (ran for 3-4 seconds)
Added GPU back to motherboard and started the PC, same thing (ran for 3-4 seconds)
Assuming RAM/GPU are ok

Test 4: CPU
Connected CPU cable from the PSU to the motherboard.
The PC wont start.

Assumption is that its either the MB or the CPU.

Does anyone know how to debug further. Ideally I have now got it down to the CPU or Motherboard.
The fact that when I connect PSU to MB and run it, the fans run but it turns off in 3-4 seconds and does the same thing on repeat, does that mean the MB is bad? MB is Gigabyte G1 gaming ga-z170mx-gaming 5 motherboard.

When I connect the CPU cable from the PSU to the MB, the computer wont even start, does that mean its the CPU?

Solution
When did this happen? Was the system turned on at the time? If just within the last day or so, step 1 would be to leave the PC powered down and unplugged for at least a day or two to allow any moisture to fully dry before attempting to turn it on again. Otherwise, it could be creating a short between pins on some part of a circuit board. Running power through that could potentially cause damage, or possibly just prevent something from starting, depending on what components were involved. You definitely should make sure the system is completely dry before continuing if this just happened recently.

Its also worth considering how the water entered. Was it through vents on top? Was there visible water on any components?
When did this happen? Was the system turned on at the time? If just within the last day or so, step 1 would be to leave the PC powered down and unplugged for at least a day or two to allow any moisture to fully dry before attempting to turn it on again. Otherwise, it could be creating a short between pins on some part of a circuit board. Running power through that could potentially cause damage, or possibly just prevent something from starting, depending on what components were involved. You definitely should make sure the system is completely dry before continuing if this just happened recently.

Its also worth considering how the water entered. Was it through vents on top? Was there visible water on any components?

Solution

sumandahal

Reputable
Mar 1, 2017

thanks for your reply,

Happened like a few hours ago. I didn't realise until I tried to turn it on and saw water on top of the case so that might have short circuited something then. Looks like the PSU is okay which is good. I am leaving it out to dry for a bit to see if will fix.

Otherwise I really need to figure out if it was a the MB or the CPU I guess.