Question Watercooler & Pump do not start until im at my desktop

MorganFreemun

Reputable
Nov 21, 2015
Whenever i turn my computer on, every led starts right up, my motherboard, my gpu all good, except my watercooler led is not on (led and pump are same connector so the pump has not begun) once windows has booted and i can see my desktop, my cpu led turns on and i can hear the pump start to move water, however once windows is on no issues and it stays on, my question is, is this normal and if its not, the fix or if its going to do any damage, unsure how hot a cpu can get without any cooling for 10 or so seconds, the pin is plugged in properly and not crimped. specs below incase they matter :) tyia for any answers

Aorus z390 elite
corsair h105
corsair vengence 32gb 3200mhz
1080ti

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
A cpu can fry in 3 seconds.

The H105 afaik uses bios commands, not software like iCue or Corsair Link, so should activate immediately on power button press. The fans should be on the cpu_fan header with splitter and pump should be on sys_fan 4pin header. In bios, the cpu_fan monitor should be enabled and sys_fan header control for the pump header disabled.

Fan headers are supposed to activate immediately, so unless there's something conflicting that then there's no reason why they'd pause.

MorganFreemun

Reputable
Nov 21, 2015
A cpu can fry in 3 seconds.

The H105 afaik uses bios commands, not software like iCue or Corsair Link, so should activate immediately on power button press. The fans should be on the cpu_fan header with splitter and pump should be on sys_fan 4pin header. In bios, the cpu_fan monitor should be enabled and sys_fan header control for the pump header disabled.

Fan headers are supposed to activate immediately, so unless there's something conflicting that then there's no reason why they'd pause.

i have the fans plugged into cpu fan 1 next to my cpu socket, and i have the pump plugged into sys_cpu_pump next to my socket, is this wrong?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Nope. That should work. Only difference between a cpu_pump header and a sys_fan header is that the cpu_pump header is usually rated at higher amperage. Just make sure that it's enabled in bios, if it's not, it might not activate until windows activates it.

MorganFreemun

Reputable
Nov 21, 2015
Nope. That should work. Only difference between a cpu_pump header and a sys_fan header is that the cpu_pump header is usually rated at higher amperage. Just make sure that it's enabled in bios, if it's not, it might not activate until windows activates it.

Yeah checked bios and its all as it should be which is interesting, my suspicion is theres something a bit iffy with the motherboard, I appreciate your help :) I did, however, find a fix to the issue myself by running a 6pin power supply cable to Molex and then a Molex to 3 pin fan adapter, so now the second I hit the power button the pump has a constant 12v! and it works exactly as i hoped it would, once again i appreciate your help :)