Watercooling - Algae in loop? Best way to fix it?

Apoca1ypse

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
For reference, this is my first watercooled rig, and I am using the following parts. I have been running the PC for 2 weeks:

Alphacool UT60 radiators - full copper, all flushed with distilled water in a closed loop through a 5um filter for 24hrs.
EKWB Waterblocks - Clear plexi and Nickle
EKWB Pump/res combo
EKWB Nickle fittings
Primochill white tubing
25cm long 99.9% pure silver ribbon as my biocide. It is placed in tube linking GPU outlet to pump.

Loop goes: Pump -> Rads -> CPU -> GPU -> Pump.

-----

I looked at my pc a few days ago and noticed that my CPU waterblock had started to get an orange/brown tinge to it. It was then that I realised that my freshly filled PC had been facing a window, and that I should have put my silver inside my vat of distilled water for a week to 'pretreat' the water before filling my loop. Whoops.

Anyway, today, I drained the system and started removed the mobo and graphics card. I was a bit sad to see that my blocks had gone a rather copper looking colour. At first, I thought the nickle plating had come off, but on closer inspection, I have what almost looks like a fine orange powder forming on the nickle. Is this algae that grew and has since died from the silver?

The discolouration was also visible on the outlet fitting of the CPU block, and both fittings of the GPU block. There was slight discolouration on the pump inlet fitting, and nothing on the pump outlet fitting. None of the tubing looks discoloured on the inside, and nothing rubbed off onto a Q-tip either.

**The white is condensation

CPU outlet fitting

I guess my dilemma boils down to the following:

- Am i experiencing galvanic corrosion or algal bloom?

- What is the best course of action now?

- Should I totally strip the loop and flush/clean each piece, or have I caught it early enough? Again, I cant see anything on the tubing, and there was nothing visible on the CPU inlet fitting.

- Should I replace my tubing?

- Am I forgetting anything else?

Apoca1ypse

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
More pics. I pulled apart the CPU block, and noticed some goop in the jet plate that appears to be a supper small amount of lint and an eyelash. That must have gotten in there when I was assembling the loop.

The reddish stuff can be seen on the Qtip. Most of it rubs of easily, but leaves a slight staining to the nickle. There is nothing stuck to the plexi top

Huh, i think what you need to do is do a full cleaning. I mean scrubbing it out and making sure none is left. Then i suggest you either use you silver coil or buy some anti freeze and put it in there to help STOP the growth and prevent it, they dont destroy it if its already there.

Ouch! I'm kinda shocked your seeing something like this in only 2 weeks! I would do a total cleaning also. Is that a 295X2 you got there? The blocks seems to have an aluminum top plate over the plexi? Do you know if this actually touches the water?? This would be very bad. Here's a link of someones EK block w/ aluminum plate after 24 hours. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCYQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fhardforum.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D1740358&ei=_GpfVNb5CujdsAS9moLwBQ&usg=AFQjCNH2EZ74OgOm88QV3S5_cHgDSa6flw&bvm=bv.79189006,d.cWc EK is also against silver coils as they claim it can damage their nickel blocks, yet other company's blocks work fine with them. I did a total teardown myself about a year ago after running for about 2 yrs. I drain/fill about every six months. I use plain distilled water + kill coils, and I'm also using Primochill white tubing. I took apart the cpu block, checked the fittings. For the most part they looked good/almost new, though a few looked to have small bit of corrosion starting, but I'm talking maybe 4 fittings out of 30. I soaked them in lemon juice and cleaned them up with a toothbrush. None looked anything like your orange cpu outlet fitting. I'm also using nickel blocks & copper radiators. Did do you anything special for prep work before installing your loop? Your right about facing the windows was probably bad giving potential algae the chance to grow.

Apoca1ypse

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
Well, it looks like it was actually galvanic corrosion, and I was getting copper depositing on the nickel. That, or it's flux, which I doubt.

Tubing is totally fine, but interestingly, all the compression fittings have the red/brown stuff deposited on them, but the angled adapters do not. Both are Nickel plated. I think its to do with the compression fittings having a rather rough surface inside, while the angled adapters are nice and smooth.

I tore down the blocks and gave them a good clean, and they look good as new. To my wallets dismay I've refilled with 2.5ltrs of EK's coolant and removed the kill coil, so we'll see how that goes. if the problem comes back I'm going to be rather annoyed, and it means I have something else going on.

As for the 295x5 block, I was of the impression that the silver piece on the acrylic is stainless steel. It does make contact with the water. Now I'm kinda worried that that may be aluminium, and that would explain my issue.

Just read your latest reply. I wanted to ask before I forget...did you by chance use any solution containing vinegar during your original flushing of your fittings/radiators? I'm asking because vinegar cleans good...but will also eat away the nickel plating. Also, this review http://www.overclockers.com/EK-295x2-waterblock-review mentions that the block center piece is brushed aluminum, but I don't want to say I'm 100% sure of that. Maybe try contacting EK about it? Also, though kinda late now, I'd look at the AquaComputer Kryographics block if you wanted to replace. Hopefully though using EK's own recommended coolant will prevent it from happening again.