Question Waterflow issue - Water in radiator makes splash noise after turning off PC ?

Sep 13, 2023
I don't really know what the cause is, but the temp levels in my singularity wraith case are really bad. I have 2x Radiator 240mm and apart from the temps being miserable and going up to 100° cpu and 95° gpu after 2min of gaming... One radiator (pc front & vertikal) seems to not fill up with water entirely and makes a splash noise when I turn off the pc - this doesn't seem right to me - maybe the pump is not strong enough?

Sep 13, 2023
Now my pc just shuts down within 10sec after bootup, wow. Probably because the cpu does not get cooled AT ALL. 3 Min after the pc shut itself down, the pipes connected to the cpu cooler are still boiling hot... I am so frustrated at this point, after buying a new psu to the pump not starting with a jump-started psu to buying an air leak tester and new watercooling components - i dont know what to do

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
What does "reservoir topped up" and "rocking the case" mean?
Custom water cooling can have pockets of air trapped. He means make sure your reservoir is as full as designed and that rocking your case from side to side while the pump is on can help any air pockets circulate through the system.
Do you see any air bubbles in the system? Did you run it to bleed the air out when you built the cooling ?

Sep 13, 2023
I used the leak tester from EK to check wether or not there are any leaks. After that I did not bleed the system. Rocking case from side to side while pump is on and air ventilation open? I tried rocking the case from side to side and nothing really changes. The cpu temperature spikes up to 95° in a matter of seconds and it doesnt get cooled effectively

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
I used the leak tester from EK to check wether or not there are any leaks. After that I did not bleed the system. Rocking case from side to side while pump is on and air ventilation open? I tried rocking the case from side to side and nothing really changes. The cpu temperature spikes up to 95° in a matter of seconds and it doesnt get cooled effectively
Is your pump at the bottom of your loop so that it is gravity fed ?
Do you have a flow indicator in your loop?

Hi
It would help to know more about this loop, like
Parts used ?
How long it has been running Or is this new
Or did this happen all of the sudden ?
What pump rpm ?
Any water additives ?

A couple of things you can try.
1) unhook the cpu eps cable at the mobo or at the psu if it's fully modular and easier to get to.
That will stop the the cpu from protecting itself.
At this point you don't need the cpu booting the system.

2) unhook the pumps Pwm cable.
On several Ek pwm d5 pumps I have looked at, say that when the pwm cable is Not plugged in it's supposed to run at 100%.
This will help with pushing the water through the loop.

Please let us know the info and results.

Reactions: Homeman
Sep 13, 2023
Parts used ? - Alphacool (ice series) and various other brands fittings. Unknown source of metal tubes, but the material is brass/copper in the entire build.
Recently, I switched out a soft tube for a metal tube, re-arranged tubing, re-arranged fan & radiator position at the front panel - previously: frontpanel -> fans -> radiator; now: frontpanel -> radiator -> fans(BUT the fans are now directing outwards and do not pull air into the case but they blow out of the front panel now), swapped out cooling liquid from EKWB EK-CryoFuel Clear Premix to Aquacomputer Double Protect Ultra, swapped out power supply unit from Corsair SF750 to Coolermaster V1100, because the SF750 caused system failure over and over again.

How long has the system been running? - this arrangement in my system has been running for 3 days now (this day included)- apart from that, the system is at least 2 years old.

Info about the Computer:

CASE: SINGULARITY COMPUTERS WRAITH ITX/DTX - BLACK (Aluminum Case)

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Strix Z690-I Gaming WifiLGA 1700, Intel Z690 (DDR5), Mini ITX

GRAPHICS CARD: AORUS Radeon™ RX 6900 XT XTREME WATERFORCE WB 16G

PROCESSOR: Intel® Core™ i7-12700K Processor

MEMORY: G.Skill DIMM 32GB DDR5-5600 (2x 16GB) Dual-Kit, Memory

POWER SUPPLY: Cooler Master V1100 - 1100 Watt 80+ Platinum Certified High-Performance SFX Power Supply

HARD DRIVE: Mushkin SSD Vortex M.2 2TB PCIe Gen4x4 (MKNSSDVT2TB-D8)

RADIATORS: 2x Alphacool NexXxoS ST20 HPE Full Copper 240mm Radiator

CASE FANS: 4X Lian Li UNI FAN SL120 V2 ARGB PWM Fans - 120mm, black

WATER PUMP: D5 Pump

TUBING: Custom-made Hard Tubes made of Brass

FITTINGS: Alphacool Eiszapfen and several Alphacool Compression Fittings + Spares

CPU COOLING: Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge CPU - Acrylic Black Digital RGB

Or did this happen all of the sudden ? - Since my new PSU has "unlimited" power for my gpu and cpu, which was not the case before, the cpu and gpu can draw maximum power without bringing my PSU on its knees - and overclock themselves to boiling hot temps. That is my assumption. The temps weren't that bad before I had the new psu. Probably because I have no air intake as well in my system as well - only air outflow, because I thought that it wouldn't matter that much.

What pump rpm ? - The RPM of the pump is constant 3300, because I unplugged the PWM connector.

1) unhook the cpu eps cable at the mobo or at the psu if it's fully modular and easier to get to. - Are you still sure that I can do that after telling you what my system consists of?

2) unhook the pumps Pwm cable. - Already did before I made the post

Hi
Your psu will only supply what the the cpu and gpu will draw from it.

It sounds as if you have a stubborn air bubble.
Are the front rad fittings down at the bottom?

The thought of unplugging the eps cpu cable is to prevent the system from booting up.
You could be harming the life of your cpu by not being cooled.

By getting that pump to 100% will help with pushing that air bubble into the reservoir, which the case may need some tilting to help.

Sep 13, 2023
Hi
Your psu will only supply what the the cpu and gpu will draw from it.

It sounds as if you have a stubborn air bubble.
Are the front rad fittings down at the bottom?

The thought of unplugging the eps cpu cable is to prevent the system from booting up.
You could be harming the life of your cpu by not being cooled.

By getting that pump to 100% will help with pushing that air bubble into the reservoir, which the case may need some tilting to help.
as of now, the cpu is stable on 70-80°C while gaming. The fittings on the front rad are at the bottom. The system is not booting itself up if you're referring to the video I uploaded. I booted the pc up to show you the bubbles in the system and the water levels in the reservoir

Hi
Sorry it took so long to respond back.

My misunderstanding.
It seemed to me as your system was shuting itself down by the vid and your high temp readings.

But it sounds as something changed for the Better!!!!! Yea!!!!!

On my system by unhooking the eps cable, the mobo gets it's power and the case power button will start the psu ( so no need for the psu Jumper ) without the cpu heating up.
That allows my thermaltake 10 port pwm fan hub full power to connect the pumps pwm cable to get the pump to 100% for filling the loop using the psu's switch to power off.

On my previous pump (Corsair Xd5) I had to use a 4pin molex to fan adapter to get it to 100% and took awhile even with only 2 rads at the time to get the air out.
That pump only has a 2.1m head and 800lph rating.
The Ek pump in now has No problem filling the loop with very little tilting.

I have 3 Alphacool rads
Hpe 360x30, 420 xt45, 280 ut60 plus the blocks to fill, so I won't let the cpu fire up.

Sep 13, 2023
My gpu does not get cooled effectively I think... The gpu hotspot is at 95°C while gaming (critical thermal temperature 100.4%) while the base temperature of the gpu is at 80°c. I think that there is a huge issue with cooling the gpu. The two fittings on the gpu are not on the same temperature levels. While gaming;: Left fitting 30°C tops and the right fitting is barely touchable with the fingers, immediate burning sensation - the fitting must be on 90°C at least (did not measure, just going by feel here). This makes me think wether or not there is even waterflow from OUT cpu to the gpu