Question Way behind the times, looking for upgrade help.

satman333

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am a self employed electronics technician and musician. I do PC/ laptop/ screen repair and service, networking, CCTV camera systems, home theater installation, a bit of circuit level repairs and have a home office . I play guitar, bass and keyboards and do some music programming/MIDI/DAW. I have a HTPC / Media setup in my living room but 8-10 hours a day are spent on the road and in my office / workroom with my main PC. Here is where I need some help.
My old friend has served me well for a long time but it is clearly on it's last legs. I am looking to upgrade the motherboard /cpu /ram to something better,
I have tried to research this myself but the majority of reviews and suggestions have to do with gaming rigs. I do not game and I'm just too overwhelmed with life right now to do this myself.
This community has always served me well, I have used it many times to research customers questions so now I will trust you with my own.

My system is ancient: (Please don't laugh . Snort. Who am I kidding?)
Asus M4A87 motherboard
AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU 3.2 ghz
16GB ram
Windows 10 pro.
Full ATX Case
Surprisingly, with a SSD it is serviceable for my current needs. .

Right now I use the system for a work computer (internet, research, office tasks, diagnostics on external hardware, data recovery)
media playback, file server, minor audio production listed above.

Here are my desired features for a new system:

New Motherboard /CPU / RAM. I can deal with all the rest.
Priorities:
Maximum bang for the buck, I'm just a poor boy from a poor family. I only get to upgrade every 6-8 years.
I clearly have no issues with older hardware. Something from several generations back that will do the job and can be upgraded in the future is preferred.
Maximum motherboard expandability and upgradability. (PCI slots, M2, Sata , Cpu, memory)
Would like to expand into professional level audio production / DAW / home recording / virtual instruments eventually.

My last 3 builds have been AMD but I have no issues with intel.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

ExtreamChaozZ

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2014
I would defently stick with AMD for price to performance. AMD are going to be anouncing their new Zen 3 processors soon and probably put them up for the same price as the current line up, so i would wait till then at least before upgrading.

But if you cant wait then heres some parts i would recommend on the cheap for what you are after.
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/CXfFw6

I added an NVME because they are super fast and will help with productivity.
if your willing to spend a little more then i would wait for the new processors and look into the B550 mothersboards if your want to have the latest features that will last, such as the new Gen 4 NVME M.2 slots and PCIe slots.

Also i would look into the "Gaming" stuff, they are advertised as "gaming" but they do their job just as well for jobs such as visual rending or other productive tasks.

Hope this helps a little.

Last edited:
Reactions: satman333
On a practucal level the 3400g would suit you absolutely fine while offering a socket that has good potential for upgrading.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA Swordfish 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $369.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-12 04:43 EDT-0400

While the 3600 is a better cpu for the monetary difference the fact you need to add a gpu increases the cost exponentially.

This is about price vs perfoemance, the 3400g is more than ample for your uses.

satman333

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for the input so far. I just realized I probably should have labeled this build advice and didn't say in my original post that my budget here is $2-300. I do have a GPU so that s not an issue, I definitely want NVME capability for later but I have an Intel Sata SSD to use for now. Thanks again.

ExtreamChaozZ

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2014
I changed out the CPU to an AMD 5 2600X instead of the AMD 5 3600. It has the same amount of cores and clock speeds but is on an older architecture. This does mean that you will be limited on future compatibility with other devices but it does fit your budget.

If you can afford the extra money i would go for the 3600 as its up to date.

I also removed the NVME as that wont fit your budget either but i highly recommend getting one later down the line as the speed they give to applications and loading times are brilliant.

PcPartPicker Link:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/vPJkkd

satman333

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for your input, I have waited as suggested for the new Ryzens but I see they are priced higher than their previous models. I think I am going to wait for November to see if the six core comes down any when the new one ships.