Way of fixing this??

Salvis

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016
When i run CMD sfc/ scannow after the scan it says: windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.

its called cbs.log

Thanks!

Salvis

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016

Will it restore everything? I dont need that!

Salvis

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016

Doesnt work!

It just checks the Windows files checksum, if the checksum isn't right, it downloads and replaces the corrupt files. It doesn't touch any of your data or programs, just Windows files. Think of it as an sfc on steriods. It uses MicroSoft site to replace the files (Online) that are corrupted.

chkdsk driveletter: /r performs a file integrity check, but the /r switch also tells Windows to do a surface scan (medium integrity) which can take a long time especially on HDD's. Hours in fact. It also can't do this on the boot volume in Windows it requires a reboot. It also has to be done from an elevated command prompt.

It was just something to try, I didn't mean it would function as a cure all

Salvis

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016

Thanks for help :)

Salvis

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016

Ohh, Okay.

Salvis

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016

I did it, but still it doesn't do anything in my opinion! And it says : The source files could not be found. Please specify the location of the file.

Colif

Win 11 Master
If you get the error message "cannot find source files"you need to have an ISO file mounted and need to specify where it is located with the below command
The ISO must be exactly the same version as the running OS. An ISO of 10586.0 will not repair a running system of 10586.35 because it has additional updates and files.
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess Where "X" is the drive letter where the ISO is located. Simply change the "X" to the correct drive letter

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-update/system-file-check-sfc-scan-and-repair-system-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

techgeek said:
The file that is corrupted isn't the cbs.log, that is the log for the scan. It's a large file, but it should contain the name(s) of the corrupted files.

Try this now:

Quote:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

This will restore the files. It has to be run from an elevated command prompt.

I did it, but still it doesn't do anything in my opinion! And it says : The source files could not be found. Please specify the location of the file.
Was your computer connected to the internet when you tried this command. If not, try it again with it connected to the internet. If so, have a look at Colif's link. It describes how to use a locally mounted ISO to be the source for DISM rather than over the internet. However the ISO has to match the version of Windows you are repairing.

Colif

Win 11 Master
one thing i read about this is, once you finish dism and it fixes everything,
run sfc /scannow again to make sure its all fixed.

Sometimes i be easier to reinstall win 10 fresh than mess around getting its files right (especially since you need to dl ISO to fix this anyway)

Under normal circumstance you don't need to download the ISO. Most times it works just fine online, that is the beauty of DISM, it doesn't rely on a local copy or System Reserved partition. However in some circumstances, for whatever reason some systems are so messed up that DISM doesn't work like it should. Then you have to go to extreme measures like mounting an ISO to compare and repair.

I've actually used DISM a few times to save my friends and family a lot of wasted time. My wife's friend in particular would have taken forever to backup all her data to do a re-install. I was able to sort her out in under an hour like this.

Colif

Win 11 Master
DISM only needs the ISO if the local files are corrupted in the image itself. Good thing it can tell or a reset using that image wouldn't fix anything. I just wish it existed in Windows prior to 8. It makes fixing the pc much easier - same applies to advanced start up too.

You do not have to have the ISO in all situations. Only in the most messed up systems. In nearly every time I've used it, you don't need the ISO.

This is a quote from MicroSoft regarding DISM:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
Important When you run this command, DISM uses Windows Update to provide the files that are required to fix corruptions. However, if your Windows Update client is already broken, use a running Windows installation as the repair source, or use a Windows side-by-side folder from a network share or from a removable media, such as the Windows DVD, as the source of the files. To do this, run the following command instead:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess
Note Replace the C:\RepairSource\Windows placeholder with the location of your repair source. For more information about using the DISM tool to repair Windows, reference Repair a Windows Image.

As you can see it uses Windows Update to fix the files. This is why I asked the OP if they had an internet connection. No internet, no Windows Update.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I didn't know that bit.. hadn't read much about command. I haven't had to run it myself any further than its health checks. I run scannow any time anything odd happens. I think my problems more old drivers, but thats another story

Phone, different computer, tablet, I can't be sure? It's better to not assume, I've been caught in that before. Better to ask.

So since that response says that you can.

What version of Windows are you using?

Salvis

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016

Windows 10

Salvis

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016

i installed it about 2 months ago maybe 1 month ago i installed it by pressing that windows button.