News WD 2Tb 3D QLC NAND chips should open the door to cheaper high-capacity SSDs

DougMcC

Reputable
Sep 16, 2021
Lol I'll believe it when I see it.
Yeah it's not like this was some design breakthrough that changes the economy of cost per bit. It's just progress. Cost/bit will come down slowly, and Price/bit will remain driven by AI demand for the next couple of years.

D

Deleted member 2731765

Article:

A 2Tb (256GB) 3D QLC NAND die is indeed a huge achievement, as the 'base' product that Western Digital introduced on its 218-layer BiCS8 production technology is a 1Tb 3D TLC device

Might sound like an improvement in capacity, but in all fairness, we’re still comparing QLC with TLC in this case.

peachpuff

Reputable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2021
10-12 years ago, how much was a 128GB SATA SSD?
My memory is a bit fuzzy on sata drives, but i can tell you that a 128gb usb drive has been the same price basically since 2015 to now. And i know that detail because i bought them yearly for my company during xmas, they were $20 back then and are still $20 cad now.

USAFRet

Titan
My memory is a bit fuzzy on sata drives, but i can tell you that a 128gb usb drive has been the same price basically since 2015 to now. And i know that detail because i bought them yearly for my company during xmas, they were $20 back then and are still $20 cad now.
From my Newegg....
Nov 2014, 250GB Samsung 840 EVO, $110

June 2024, 1TB Samsung 990 Pro, $129

8x the size, 10x the speed, basically same price.

Jun 14, 2024
Having worked in NAND (SSDs) I'll tell you all this, I wouldn't put a QLC drive in any high-performance machine including gaming rigs and PS5. The endurance and performance are significantly less than TLC. Also, they are going to start talking about PLC and that is 75% less endurance and performance than QLC. The very best is MLC (which you cannot really get anymore) then TLC. Stick with TLC if you want your SSD to last.

Reactions: usertests

Latest posts