WD 2TB Black or Seagate 3TB !! Same Price !!

errorloading

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Good day to you all :),

I'm very puzzled between the WD and Seagate

1st. WD Caviar Black 2 TB SATA HDD (WD2002FAEX)
7,200 RPM - 64MB Buffer Size - SATA 6 GB/S - 1 Year Warranty

2nd. Seagate Barracuda 3TB SATA HDD (ST3000DM001)
7,200 RPM - 64MB Buffer - SATA 6 GB/S - 1 Year Warranty !

Both same Price: 200$ !!!

I will use this drive for OS Boot, Gaming and VMware Application,
My interest in speed not space meaning > 2TB is enough for me.
But if i wouldn't notice the difference between both in speed i will buy the 3TB for sure and benefit from the size !

Thanks in advance :)

Solution
No, I would say that they would feel the same -- as almost all SSDs feel the same, the two drives are close in performance.

The differences are small enough that only a benchmark program would notice.

Get the 3Tb, although I would probably install the OS on a partition of the drive rather than one giant 3Tb partition just to make it easier to reformat and reinstall to that partition if it was ever necessary.

kelthic

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012

This. this is exactly why i asked whether or not you were booting with it. :) for a fast boot drive, consider a SSD with a HDD for your data.

errorloading

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009

Hi looniam,

No it's not but in my country "EGYPT" all drivers come with 1 years, some companies sell it with 3 years but very limited amount :(

errorloading

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009

Hi Realbeast,

I'm not sure about the UEFI Bios ! my motherboard model P67A-UD3R-B3 updated with the latest version F9, and yes i'm using 64bit OS with a 8GB RAM

G

GIGABYTE 3TB+ Unlock Utility

i do have a preference for WD (the blacks ARE faster) but . . .that segate will work.

errorloading

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Why WD black faster? both same RPM and Seagate is using more platters! please inlight me for my knowledge that's all :)

And if the WD BLACK IS faster will i notice the difference between them? because if i wouldn't notice the difference between them in speed i can benefit from the size and buy the 3T !

RealBeast

Titan
No, I would say that they would feel the same -- as almost all SSDs feel the same, the two drives are close in performance.

The differences are small enough that only a benchmark program would notice.

Get the 3Tb, although I would probably install the OS on a partition of the drive rather than one giant 3Tb partition just to make it easier to reformat and reinstall to that partition if it was ever necessary.

Solution
G

^ yeah what he said! :lol:

really in real world performance it is doubtful you will "feel" any difference. getting 33% more storage with a minimal difference in performance for the same price, is a better deal! esp. with HD prices as they are now.

G

Dear errorloading,

I'm a big fan of WD and never consider myself using or even thinking of Seagate. With the end of Quantam, WD was the obvious choice. But the benchmark results have proven that Seagate 3TB ST3000DM001 has advantage over WD. I'm sharing one link for you to check it out:

http://hard-drive-comparison.whoratesit.com/Compare/Western-Digital-Caviar-Black-2TB-vs-Seagate-Barracuda-720014-3TB/1414vs1374

See for yourself the results.

Also check the other benchmark results. 3TB is the obvious choice. However do take a note that these tests are carried out one point of time and their results and test variables can be varied according to the tester/author. However, general results favor 3TB Seagate.