Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters

raybob95

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Hey guys,

I'm gonna be buying another Hard Drive (2TB) and I was wondering if I should go with the Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB or the WD Caviar Green 2TB. I was originally gonna go with the WD because it's the manufacturer of my current hard drive and has always been my favorite.

But lately I've been swayed towards the Seagate for 3 reasons:

1) It's Cheaper; $180 vs. $210
2) Supposedly it's a little faster in overall I/O Throughput
3) It has better reviews;

66% 5-Star reviews and 8% 1-Star reviews for the Seagate
63% 5-Star reviews and 14% 1-Star reviews for the WD

So should I stick to my WD loyalty or fall into the clutches of Seagate and buy their HDD? Vote, and respond with your reasoning please, and no fanboys here!

I'd lean slightly towards the Seagate. Despite their problems with the 7200.11 series drives, they seem to have turned around, and the 7200.12 series drives look great (and the Barracuda LP are basically slowed down 7200.12 drives). The lower price is definitely a factor too. Either seems pretty nice though.

I'm personally waiting for the Constellation ES 2TB 7200RPM to come out :)

G

You should stick with Western Digital. Seagate has serious issues. Just google out "Seagate 1.5 TB video lag".

Besides Segate is mostly oriented towards making profits not advancing tech.

G

Also google out "Seagate 1.5TB freezing" or even "Seagate 2TB Freezing"

Seagate SUCKS!

Beetlejuice411

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013
Western Digital has a design flaw in their new drives which makes them load/unload the cycles every 8 seconds, they said they have a program(which i downloaded from their website) which you can change the idle timer to 5 minutes or more so that it doesnt load/unload the cycles and pause the copying of files every few seconds. I Changed the timer to 5minutes and it worked for a few minutes then it kept clicking/unclicking loading/unloading the cycles while i was copying AGAIN - I have never in my life bought such a terrible drive neither have i bought western digital before (and its the LAST TIME i would be buying western digital). I am so disgusted by this product. Seagate is the only trustworthy drive - Yes maybe there are some faulty drives - but it is your job to check and make sure there are no reallocated sector errors or other errors by using S.M.A.R.T. - if there are, seagate replaces the drives with no issue PLUS their warranty period is much longer as that of WD.

Western Digital SUCKS!!!

Only the WD green drives suffered this problem. The WD blue's and blacks work fine. Also, the WD black drives have a 5 year warranty. The green drives have a 3 year warranty. WD customer service is good about replacing defective drives under warranty.