[SOLVED] WD 4TB NAS HDD keeps disconnecting ?

M4rk3

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2015
I bought a 4tb wd nas drive few weeks ago although it had to spin up 3 times to start the first time it was working
Now every 9 to 12 hours it just dissapears, sometimes its making high pitched noise when it looses connection. Ive tried swapping cables, different sata ports with no success. It has 2y warranty so i can take it back if its something wrong with it inside.
Disk checker shows 100% with no bad sectors. Also sleep after x minutes is off in power plan. Any ideas?

Solution
I discovered that hdd when put outside of a case with no metal near it it just works. Put it on metal it does not, then just lift it up(holding it in a hand)and it works again. I mean thats not normal right? Is that return material cuz its probably shortening somewhere.

It went whole night underload with 0 disconnects. Also applying slight pressure on top of it disconects it which is i think normal cuz of spinning thingya nd the needle if im not wrong.
Sounds like their could be a short, and yeah no pushing on or dropping running drives. You have two choices: RMA it for that short behavior or use it in an external caddy if that suits your needs.

In the future it is best to avoid SMR when possible, as the shingling makes them...

M4rk3

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2015
I would run WD Data Lifeguard diagnostic and return if it doesn't pass all the testing without error.
Passed every test. But i moved it to other pc and it works flawlessly. It can't be the sata ports on mbo cuz ssd works and other 2 hdds with no problem no matter the port. Now my only suspect is psu. Is that even possible? Its some old actopia 500w psu. That wd red nas hdd would not work even if its the only hdd next to boot drive while in the other pc it boots within the first spin up whitch usualy takes 3,4,5 spinups on original pc. Could it be the psu?

M4rk3

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2015
While not usually the likely suspect for HDD issues, you need to rule out the PSU since the HDD runs on the other machine.

Did you check the drive model to determine if it is an SMR drive -- read THIS.

I discovered that hdd when put outside of a case with no metal near it it just works. Put it on metal it does not, then just lift it up(holding it in a hand)and it works again. I mean thats not normal right? Is that return material cuz its probably shortening somewhere.

It went whole night underload with 0 disconnects. Also applying slight pressure on top of it disconects it which is i think normal cuz of spinning thingya nd the needle if im not wrong.

M4rk3

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2015
An external hard drive keeps disconnecting every time due to several reasons, however, there are few probable solutions to fix the issue. These possible solutions are as:

1. Try other USB ports or system
  2. Use CHKDSK Utility
  3. Reinstall Device Drivers
  4. Run SFC Scan
Hope it helps!
This is internal hdd. But im looking to buy enclosure since it works on other pc

RealBeast

Titan

Sounds like their could be a short, and yeah no pushing on or dropping running drives. You have two choices: RMA it for that short behavior or use it in an external caddy if that suits your needs.

In the future it is best to avoid SMR when possible, as the shingling makes them re-write a much larger area to change data already written degrading performance.

Solution