Review WD Black SN770 SSD Review: A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

Lord_Moonub

Commendable
Nov 25, 2021
Please review the ADATA S70 Blade. It is priced lower than this SN770, and delivers higher bandwidth. It is editors choice on several other hardware sites, but remains in the dark here.

May 16, 2022
I noticed you stopped publishing idle power measurements with ASPM/LPM enabled sometime in 2021 - the SN750 and SN850 still included them, whereas SN750 SE, SN570 and SN770 don't have them anymore. And unfortunately Billy Tallis has stopped writing for Anandtech, so Tom's Hardware is apparently the only outlet that even still cares to measure power consumption for SSDs. (Thank you!)

I find the SN770 extremely compelling in terms of performance and R/W efficiency. But if like its predecessors it sucks a constant Watt of power on idle, when most competitor drives manage to properly sleep to <100 mW even on desktop motherboards, then I'd rather wait until a similar drive from another manufacturer comes around.

Is the SN770 still as bad with ASPM idle power? Also, can you bring the measurements back to future reviews? Pretty please?

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
Interesting anecdote: WD SN570 2TB and SN770 2TB had (visually) the exact same board layout and what's presumably the controller. The only visible differences are board colour, the sticker, and one-digit parts number difference on (presumably) the flash module and the PMIC.

Makes you wonder if the real difference is really all in the firmware.

rumcajs997

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
I noticed you stopped publishing idle power measurements with ASPM/LPM enabled sometime in 2021 - the SN750 and SN850 still included them, whereas SN750 SE, SN570 and SN770 don't have them anymore. And unfortunately Billy Tallis has stopped writing for Anandtech, so Tom's Hardware is apparently the only outlet that even still cares to measure power consumption for SSDs. (Thank you!)

I find the SN770 extremely compelling in terms of performance and R/W efficiency. But if like its predecessors it sucks a constant Watt of power on idle, when most competitor drives manage to properly sleep to <100 mW even on desktop motherboards, then I'd rather wait until a similar drive from another manufacturer comes around.

Is the SN770 still as bad with ASPM idle power? Also, can you bring the measurements back to future reviews? Pretty please?

I wonder too what the ASPM power consumption would be. Without that measurement, we don` really know how that drive would behave installed in a laptop.

Apr 1, 2020
Because drive speed makes little to zero difference for 99% of games

the subtitle is "Stellar performance, especially for gamers", so there should be some gaming tests involved. There are games which require loading of many files, such as MMOs, and games which require a SSD in their requirements, so those could be used to show the difference, or lack of one, between an SATA, NVMe 3, 4, and 5 drive, if gaming prowess is stated.

TRENDING THREADS