Question WD Blue SSD (SATA) disconnects on start-up, slows computer down.

Sep 7, 2020
Hello,

My (secondary) WD Blue SSD (SATA) disconnects on start-up, slows computer down (seems the compute is trying to load the drive). When I unplug the power to the drive manually, and plug it back, the computer recognizes the drive, and seems to be working fine again. Tried to run SMART tests- says it is working fine (although after manually connecting and disconnecting), tried to change SATA position - still continues. Any idea what it could be? Board is Auros elite x570, working with Samsung evo 970 as a main drive.

Thank you for your help!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:

Also check and see which BIOS version you're currently on. Which version of Windows 10 are you working with? Which ports are you populating with the SATA based SSD?

When I unplug the power to the drive manually, and plug it back
You're advised never to treat SATA powered devices like hot plug drives.

Sep 7, 2020
Thank you!

Spec:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard: Gigabit Auros Elite x570
Ram: G-SKill RIpjaw 3200, 32gb (2x16)
SSD/HDD: main - Samsung 970 evo (nvme), Secondary (with the problem I guess) -
Western Digital 2TB WD Blue 3D NAND Internal PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s, 2.5"/7mm,

GPU:Rog Strix - RTX 2080
PSU: Corsair RM650x

Also check and see which BIOS version you're currently on. Latest full bios version for this board (11). There are betas for version 12.
Which version of Windows 10 are you working with? I believe it is the latest version, since it is fully updated/
Which ports are you populating with the SATA based SSD? Tried port 6, and port 2. same results.

When I unplug the power to the drive manually, and plug it back

You're advised never to treat SATA powered devices like hot plug drives.
Will do thanks!

Thanks again for any help to resolve the issue.

Last edited: