Reputable
Oct 26, 2014
Specs
Amd Athlon x2 3.30 GHZ (stock 3 GHZ)
4 Gb ddr3
GTX 460
WD blue 500gb hard drive x2
ASrock 990fx Extreme3

I got this computer for free so I built it. My little sister rolled over these drives with a yoga ball while I was building. She weighs 55 lbs. . I installed Windows 10 on it and when I finished one drive was not accessible due to it being "offline"
I checked the cables connection
Is my sister to blame? An "offline" drives may be stuck right?
I do not have access to it until Sunday, August 9 at 6;00 pm.

Solution
Offline in some cases means that the drive heads for example of the WD drive are locked down.
when you power a hard drive down the read and write heads of the drive park them self in a safe zone.
They are then locked to prevent damage to the read and write heads of the drive or the magnetic disk platter of the drive.
It is done for example if the drive is taken out and in transit, for example if it was used in a drive caddy of a 5" 1/4 bay of a tower. But also used as a backup or data storage drive.

Any pressure on the outside casing of the drive. will cause it to compress or buckle. And that can lead to the read and write heads being damaged, or they get trapped with no ability to move back and forwards across the disk platter due to...
Offline in some cases means that the drive heads for example of the WD drive are locked down.
when you power a hard drive down the read and write heads of the drive park them self in a safe zone.
They are then locked to prevent damage to the read and write heads of the drive or the magnetic disk platter of the drive.
It is done for example if the drive is taken out and in transit, for example if it was used in a drive caddy of a 5" 1/4 bay of a tower. But also used as a backup or data storage drive.

Any pressure on the outside casing of the drive. will cause it to compress or buckle. And that can lead to the read and write heads being damaged, or they get trapped with no ability to move back and forwards across the disk platter due to a deformation of the drives casing. Or can put pressure on the disk platter causing the spindle of the platter to jam so it cannot spin the disk up to it`s correct rotational speed required to work at.

In your windows search box type: Disk man," create and format hard disk partitions", should be selected from the search results that pop up.

If the drive shows up click on the drive, or partition so it is highlighted. Click on the actions tab on the open window.
Go down to all tasks, and select mark partition as active.
See if the drive works, if the option does not work.
Simply format the partition that says it is offline.
It can mean that a partition of a drive is not formatted in some cases, or needs to be marked as active.

Solution

Ryaninator 54

Reputable
Oct 26, 2014

I cannot format. I already tried. However I can delete partitions.

Hey there, Ryan!

@Shaun actually hit the nail on the head with his post, though I'm sorry to hear about your WD Blue! :(
However, you can format by deleting those partitions until all the HDD's capacity in Disk Management is shown as unallocated and then create "new simple volume". This is basically how you partition and format a drive from there. You can refer to this tutorial from our KB if you need assistance: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=ts16PH
Keep in mind that this means erasing all the data on the drive! If you have anything on it, I'd recommend you to try using a different computer and see if the WD Blue will be accessible from there.

Keep us posted! Hope this helps though! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Ryaninator 54

Reputable
Oct 26, 2014
I can't create ANY volumes. I have zero options in disk management. All my Sata computers broke. I only have old ones. How will I get enough evidence to support that she is to blame?

Hi again, Ryan!

I'd recommend you to get in touch with our technical support and escalate your issue to them. You can go through our Warranty services here beforehand: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=I41wDI
I'd also recommend you to try testing the drive using WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics, it will help us determine the health and SMART status of your WD Blue. Here's a link to the software, just make sure you run both the QUICK and EXTENDED test: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=NJjFhR

WD Support Contacts: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=M5r92k

Good luck!
SuperSoph_WD