Question WD Elements external hard drive

Jun 30, 2022
So I bought WD Elements Portable Device from this site:
https://shopee.pl/WD-ELEMENTS-Zewnę...-HD-2-5-HDD-Wd-czarne-i.536927205.15809557774 (Sorry for not english)
It shipped from china so I was sceptical but a good deal is a good deal.
Everything seemed legit(no marks of usage official packaging) but when I was trying to move my games to this drive I saw it was going really slow. In task manager I saw 500KB/s read and 100% active time. After a very long copy, I tried to open my game and I was greeted by a white screen. Probably not software fault since I tried on another computer and it did the same thing. I can't even repair my game files in launcher because it goes so slow. I formatted the disk to NFTS, used chkdsk /F command in cmd, tried to repair in drive managament(it returns unspecified error 6e74667363686b2e 15bc) but nothing worked.

Maybe it's just that this HDD isn't for gaming but this model said that it can do up to 85MB/s and it gets nowhere near that. I tried to change USB ports too and nothing.

Have I been scammed? Or did I use the device improperly? I have 14 days to return the product so it may not be a lost cause, but it would be ideal to make the device work.
Thank you for all your replies.

Lutfij

Titan
Scammed might be one way of looking at things. In fact I'm leaning on the fact that maybe the drive was battered during transit. The other could be that the deal was a good deal since it was stock that they needed to get rid of, stock that wasn't being rotated purely due to the item having defects.

Might want to use Crystal disk and see what your test reveals about the external drive. Last inquiry, you don't have any OS, BIOS and driver updates pending, correct? Try another USB port on the rear of your system and see if the issue persists.

I stay away from WD HDD's since I've had to deal with a number of clicky(click of death) units.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022
Thank you for your help, yeah it might have been damaged before but I can't really confirm that. What I can confirm is that crystaldisk does not even see my drive for some reason. I didn't use that program before so maybe I am doing something wrong.

I checked updates and Windows actually had to install something so naturally I restarted my PC to see if something changed but instead I saw that the drive when copying stuff goes 15 MB/s and like 50% active time but after 30-60 seconds of computer runtime it goes to previously mentioned low speed. Also tried different USB ports and nothing changed.

I'm gonna keep your advice about WD in my mind, probably will choose another one if this one will have to be sent back.

TRENDING THREADS