WD External HDD

iLLMatic504

Commendable
Jan 14, 2017
I have a WD external HD that failed. I removed it from its case and purchased an Insignia USB 3.0 Deskstop HDD Enclosure (NS-PCH335)(SATA). When i connect the HDD to the enclosure end try to power up i get no power or indication light. The power on the enclosure itself does work because when I plug the board in with the HDD disconnected i get power indication lights. Soon as the SATA connection is made again I lose the power. Im not sure if its the enclosure or if my HDD is toast. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Solution
What was the model of the external device? Most probably, the WD Green drive was in a WD My Book device right? (as this is a 3.5'' drive)
WD My Books are hardware encrypted. Even if there's something wrong with the current enclosure and the drive is working just fine, you will not really be able to access the data, unless the HDD is in the original enclosure. There's a chip that encrypts the data as it "enters" the device. In that case, and if the data is really important, you may need to look for some professional help. You can check WD's Data Recovery Partners out: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=0cbWtN

Apart from that, yeah, as you can't really attach the drive in a different way, it may be a good idea to take it to a...
Hi there iLLMatic504,

What is the model of the drive? Do you have some data stored on it?

Make sure that the HDD inside has a SATA interface. Some WD external drives have proprietary connectors.
Also, some WD drives feature hardware encryption. This means that you will not be able to access the data unless the drive is in the original enclosure.

Apart from that, the easiest way to see if there's something wrong with the enclosure is to just attach the drive internally to a desktop machine or use another drive in the enclosure.

Let me know how this goes,
D_Know_WD :)

iLLMatic504

Commendable
Jan 14, 2017
Hi sorry its taking me a while to respond but i really appreciate the help. The model number of my HD is WD10EADS. It does have data on it and im pretty sure it has a Sata interface since it plugs right in(sorry im not really a computer guy)I'll post pics if i can figure out how. But as i said the issue seems to be that the enclosure is not powering the HDD somehow. Unfortunately i do not have a desktop or extra hard drive so i may need to take it to a professional : (

iLLMatic504

Commendable
Jan 14, 2017
nobo94.jpg

27zxlc4.jpg

ilwvf6.jpg

What was the model of the external device? Most probably, the WD Green drive was in a WD My Book device right? (as this is a 3.5'' drive)
WD My Books are hardware encrypted. Even if there's something wrong with the current enclosure and the drive is working just fine, you will not really be able to access the data, unless the HDD is in the original enclosure. There's a chip that encrypts the data as it "enters" the device. In that case, and if the data is really important, you may need to look for some professional help. You can check WD's Data Recovery Partners out: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=0cbWtN

Apart from that, yeah, as you can't really attach the drive in a different way, it may be a good idea to take it to a repair shop.

D_Know_WD :)

Solution