WD Intros New Addition to WD TV Lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dyseman

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
I used the previous WD-Live... until I found it wouldn't support 2.2TB+ HD's. Why wouldn't a HD Manufacturer make a device to use their own large HD's?

Does this one do 2.2TB+? I just stashed it away in a drawer with the other stand alone media players and just went HTPC.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
These WDTV devices are awesome... so much better than Ruku for people that play local media files or have a home file server (the only way to go for techies). Now with that said there's no Netflix? WTF!!! That's a freaking deal killer. Buy the last version, without Netflix I wouldn't buy this. I love the file streaming from home sever foremost since I have 3500 movies there, but I also like Netflix and use that 25% of the time. Deal killer for this model. Buyer beware.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I used the previous WD-Live... until I found it wouldn't support 2.2TB+ HD's. Why wouldn't a HD Manufacturer make a device to use their own large HD's?

That's a limitation of 32bit I think... or at least the firmware (anything over 2gb needs udfi). Something like this anyway.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
I use my WD TV HD mainly for Netflix and occasionally to stream music. I would upgrade it if WD were to release something with faster CPU/navigation and more features.

NightLight

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
Altough i use it daily, it does have weaknesses. The home network sharing is very bad, you have to reset the settings quite often, even if nothing changes in your setup. It does not have a plex client, and it has no resize for older 4:3 movies or eps.

Why do manufacturers still cheap out with USB 2.0?! I'm sure at this point in time, they're only saving $1. Meanwhile, that dollar saved is wasted when the product doesn't sell enough volume because it loses out to its competitors who have a USB 3.0 port.

Penny wise, pound foolish!

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
No netflix=device malfunction at the highest level...LOL. I hope these sell ZERO units. Something is rotten in denmark when you don't support the largest internet video joint (and by far). Also yes, no usb3.0 is another deal breaker today. It's so cheap it should just be a given. I doubt its even a $1.

bmadd

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
This could be a replacement for me. We don't get Netflix in my country so tjat isn't an issue. USB2 vs USB3 also isn't an issue as it would provide very little benefit for a system with no internal storage.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

You can get netflix with vpn. ;) Most are $10 or so /mo.

What about a few people watching movies on an external drive (flash or HD etc) that is attached to this? At any rate Roku3 has a USB 3.0 port so why not? If you're going to bother with putting on a 2.0 port, you should just change it to 3.0 as there is almost no difference in cost and might hinder sales even if it did NOTHING.

I can see a roku3 add now "we've got usb3.0 ports, and our competition has 2.0"...
Why give your enemy something to pick on (or reviewers too)?

Status
Not open for further replies.