WD Launching 5TB HDDs By End of 2013

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]In 2011 (before the floods) we were promised 6TB drives before the end of 2012, but between the floods and PMR reliability issues that really hasn't panned out so well.[/citation]
Most consumers don't even need 6TB or even 5TB of data, anyway, and if they do, well...damn, their ISP must hate them.

frombehind

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
This is perfect! Right around 1014 is when I will be running out of room on my 12 3-terabyte drive array. Looks like I will be upgrading with the 5TB Red drives :D

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
I've been waiting for years to upgrade my RAID array! The 2-3TB drive generation seem to have lasted way to long. 4x5tb is a lot of space, but I've never in my LIFE had a dive rive that was too big! Yes I use the RAID array for real work.

builder4

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
The 4TB generation has taken far too long to appear. The WD Caviar green 3TB was released in October 2010. By the time the Caviar green 4TB is released next year the 3TB generation will be almost 3 years old!

[citation][nom]assasin32[/nom]If you do make sure you toss it in a clear fish tank or something of that nature and put in things like treasure chests and shoot out bubbles (if it will do that in mineral oil I don't know) and fake fish to mess with people who take a quick glance at it.Would actually look pretty neat too if you added some dim colored led lights or strips with how the water is if you can get it to reflect off bubbles. Bounus points if you mod the PSU to shoot out bubbles.Dang you now I am thinking about how fun such a project will be.[/citation]
One of these days I want to try a duel tank design. Inner tank will be mineral oil, while the outer tank will be water with fish in it so it could give the illusion of fish swimming in the PC.

[citation][nom]danwat1234[/nom]No probably not. I think the helium filled drives are just for the Enterprise (not the NCC-1701-D), not consumer drives so consumer drives will still be limited to 5 platters. So 1TB/platter. I'd hope they could make a 5TB drive with 5 or less platters by Q4 2013 otherwise that would be pretty pathetic! Especially since 1TB/platter 7200RPM 1TB drives have been out for months. Seems like there is a crazy manufacturing yield issue.Right now all 4TB drive on the market use 5x800GB/platter including the new Caviar Black. Kind of sad how density increases have come down to a crawl. Hopefully HAMR will be widely implemented soon and growth will ramp up again. I think the industry is going with HAMR right now, not Shingled Magnetic Recording or bit patterning.[/citation]
+1 for the enterprise reference!

ya, the PMR tech (used on pretty much everything that is 800GB+ per platter) has proven to be terrible. The initial yeald is horrible, and even the big drives that pass the initial testing have a really high failure rate within the first 6mo. I am in pretty desperate need of new HDDs as mine are both full, and getting rather old, but I know that my drives are relatively reliable, where moving to new drives feels too much like a gamble, without a long warranty, and terrible reviews no matter what brand or site you look at. So I am trying to wait it out... but I don't think I will be able to wait long enough.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Green? Useless
Red? Useless
2012Q3? Useless
5 platters? Useless

Give us a 5TB WD Black/Blue with 3 platters early 2013, then we're talking.

Soul_keeper

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I just picked up a few 3TB baracudas with 1TB platters
After reading the reviews (and looking at the prices) of these new 800GB platter drives I think I made the right choice.
I think the 5TB drives will be ~1.25TB platters, with seagate maybe pushing higher densities. Seems like WD is falling behind.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Soul_keeper[/nom]I just picked up a few 3TB baracudas with 1TB plattersAfter reading the reviews (and looking at the prices) of these new 800GB platter drives I think I made the right choice.I think the 5TB drives will be ~1.25TB platters, with seagate maybe pushing higher densities. Seems like WD is falling behind.[/citation]

i got an 8 year old wd drive, that still works
i have 2 seagates i had to replace 6 times total

i know its subjective and at the time everyone had poor 1.5rb drives, but still...

that said i have a 10 year old maxtor that works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS