WD May Have Rough December Due to Flooding

Status
Not open for further replies.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
Sounds like they need to a choice, move the manufacturing to the Western Hemisphere or rename the company to make it more accurate - Eastern Digital.

_Pez_

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
[citation][nom]Igot1forya[/nom]Sounds like they need to a choice, move the manufacturing to the Western Hemisphere or rename the company to make it more accurate - Eastern Digital.[/citation]
jajajaj :D

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
Flooding in Thailand...
I always wondered how $5 per day of local intimate hospitality from a near 3rd world country had anything to do with shortage of Harddrives across the channel, until I read that actual manufacturing plants exist there. my bad, sorry.

illo

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
[citation][nom]sonofliberty08[/nom]i don't use their garbage drive anyway[/citation]

what YOU use is irrelevant to the article.

Garbage? Really? WD has been making hdd's for decades, offer the best warranties and I have NEVER personally had a failure. Wish I could say the same for Seagate. They can take their little 2yr warranty (oem) and stick up you know where.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Damn.. I feel bad for WD.

At least here there's like a bazillion WD 1TB+ drives in those 5+ computer shops I live near. Plan on snagging a 3TB drive later this year.

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
[citation][nom]GeekApproved[/nom]Garbage? Really? WD has been making hdd's for decades, offer the best warranties and I have NEVER personally had a failure. Wish I could say the same for Seagate. They can take their little 2yr warranty (oem) and stick up you know where.[/citation]

I've had 2 WD drives fail on me within 6 months.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
In other news: WD has been working on water cooling solutions for hard drives.
Hard drives are been tested under water, more to come as we get more details.
stay tuned.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
[citation][nom]Igot1forya[/nom]Sounds like they need to a choice, move the manufacturing to the Western Hemisphere or rename the company to make it more accurate - Eastern Digital.[/citation]

Exactly!

Most of the consumers that buy them are probably in the US anyway.

BRING THE MANUFACTURING JOBS BACK TO THE USA!

A country that doesn't make things isn't a viable society.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]legacy7955[/nom]Exactly!Most of the consumers that buy them are probably in the US anyway. BRING THE MANUFACTURING JOBS BACK TO THE USA! A country that doesn't make things isn't a viable society.[/citation]

yea, but than you have tons of extra costs, and no company is willing to cut into its proffits to bring it here, so they talk about how an ipad would cost 2000$ and such.

Jath

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
[citation][nom]GeekApproved[/nom]Garbage? Really? WD has been making hdd's for decades, offer the best warranties and I have NEVER personally had a failure. Wish I could say the same for Seagate. They can take their little 2yr warranty (oem) and stick up you know where.[/citation]
I won't say WD drives are garbage like the other guy, but my personal experience was bad with them. I had two 1TB external drives that failed unexpectedly and I lost all the data that was on them. While internal drives are good for WD, I don't like their external ones.

For Seagate, I've always loved Seagate. I personally haven't had a problem with them yet. But, that's not why I wanted to mention Seagate either. All the drives I've bought that are Seagate come with a 5 year warranty, so where are you buying them that they come with a 2 year?

All in all though, personal preference.

pnorman

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Some vendors (NCIX and memory express) have put per-customer limits on the number of drives you can buy because of the flooding.

And all drives fail. That's why we have RAID arrays and backups.

Status
Not open for further replies.