WD My Passport Ultra 2TB not recognised

catscn

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016
Hello,

I have a WD My Passport 2TB USB external HD since August 2013. Yesterday I was copying some files into it, and suddenly the tranfer rate fell down to 0. I noticed the drive was making an unusual sound. I shut down my computer and disconnected the drive. When I tried connecting the drive again, it was no longer recognised and it kept making a strange sound now and then. I already tried the drive with a different USB cable and with different computers... still, it is not recognised.

Can anybody help me with this? Thanks in advance! :)

Solution
If the external is making a strange sound and is not being recognized on any computers, it sounds like something physically may be wrong. If that's the case, I do not recommend trying to fix it yourself.

However, if you NEED the data off of it and have a bit of money for it's recovery, you can try different data recovery places that can try to get the data off. It will not be cheap, but they might be able to do it.

If not, it sounds like the motor in the drive may have died. If that's the case and you don't have the money to fix it, you might as well toss it.

thejackal85

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016
If the external is making a strange sound and is not being recognized on any computers, it sounds like something physically may be wrong. If that's the case, I do not recommend trying to fix it yourself.

However, if you NEED the data off of it and have a bit of money for it's recovery, you can try different data recovery places that can try to get the data off. It will not be cheap, but they might be able to do it.

If not, it sounds like the motor in the drive may have died. If that's the case and you don't have the money to fix it, you might as well toss it.

Solution
Welcome to the community, catscn!

Unfortunately, I believe that @thejackal is right! :( Your WD My Passport might have failed. Those noises are most probably indicating internal/physical damage. I'd strongly recommend you to consider contacting one of our Data Recovery Partners Worldwide as they might be your best bet on getting your files back. In the future, I'd advise you to keep your data stored on, at least, two different storage devices/locations in order to avoid such data loss headaches.
You should also check the warranty status of the WD Passport on our website. If it's still under warranty, you might be able to send an RMA request after the data recovery and get a replacement from our customer support.

Hope this helps you. Best of luck!
SuperSoph_WD