[SOLVED] WD MyPassport slowed to a halt

Nov 23, 2020
Hi, I have 2.5" external WD MyPassport 5TB (Windows7 @ MacbookAir 2015), using it for movies... It worked great since I bought it in summer, but from last week it became terribly slow and unreliable... When copying large files to a backup, speeds drop from (normal?) 70-90mbs to 2-5mbs and even 200-500kbs (?!?!), sometimes it's back to 2-5mbs or shortly to max. 70-90mbs, but mostly it's crawling at 200-500kbs, it's crazy... When I plug it in, it takes 1-2 minutes to initialize in Win7, but in OSX sometimes it doesn't at all... Currently I'm backing it up to another drive (it will take a week on speeds mentioned above), and then I will test it... I tried other drives using the same cable and USB, and they all work great... What could be the problem? I have DMDE (full version) software, is that enough for diagnostics/repair or should I get another tool? I'd like to test it first before I send it back to the seller (under warranty)... Thanks in advance! Alex

Solution
I had a very bad experience with WD, namely WD My Book, some 7+ years ago. I remembered that after ~ an year, it was hard to get into the computer. Since then I ditched all WD drives. I am now using the 2nd hand HDD from ebay, any brand but WD. I have been buy 2nd hand HDD from ebay @ 1TB/10$. I have been made the three copies of my data, I backup my data every 2 months. All my 2nd hand disk are running fine.

You may consider this way of backing your data as well.

thanks.
I'd refrain from testing until you've at least tried to exfiltrate your data....(often, a partial head crash will have a drive slow to a crawl, and, worsen as perhasp3-4 days progresses, and, often completely die in short time span. Testing that further exercise the drive, such as surface read tests, etc., merely further shorten the hours of usefulness remaining.)

Get any of your data off (if needed) first. THen tinker.

Nov 23, 2020
How full is the drive? Have you run analyze to see if it needs to be defragged perhaps?

It's quite full (90% full, 5TB drive)... I didn't test it yet until I finish backup (now in 2nd week of copying, often only 500kbps, it's ridiculous)... I wish it's just a fragmentation, but I suspect it's some bigger problem, because it takes 2-3 minutes to initialize in Windows 7 every time I plug it in, and in OSX it often even doesn't show up at all...

I'd refrain from testing until you've at least tried to exfiltrate your data....(often, a partial head crash will have a drive slow to a crawl, and, worsen as perhasp3-4 days progresses, and, often completely die in short time span. Testing that further exercise the drive, such as surface read tests, etc., merely further shorten the hours of usefulness remaining.)

Get any of your data off (if needed) first. THen tinker.
He explained in his description he was transferring his data before anything else no?

Nikon1234

Reputable
May 30, 2016
I had a very bad experience with WD, namely WD My Book, some 7+ years ago. I remembered that after ~ an year, it was hard to get into the computer. Since then I ditched all WD drives. I am now using the 2nd hand HDD from ebay, any brand but WD. I have been buy 2nd hand HDD from ebay @ 1TB/10$. I have been made the three copies of my data, I backup my data every 2 months. All my 2nd hand disk are running fine.

You may consider this way of backing your data as well.

thanks.

Solution