WD Passport not showing up ANYWHERE after attempting firmware update.

Andre_R

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016
Hi there,

So basically this is my problem. Things were going perfect, and I decided to update my firmware. I ran WDFirmwareUpdater and then it told me an error occurred updating it. Then I realized I left SmartWare from the Passport open, and that's most likely why it couldn't update. Then I close it, run it again, and it can't find the device.

I can't find the device in Disk Management, Device Manager, etc. So, right now I'm puzzled as to how to get this drive recognized again. Does anybody have any solutions? I appreciate any help.

Solution
Welcome to the community, Andre!

This seems pretty unfortunate! :( A failed firmware update could have potentially caused corruption or drive failure on the WD My Passport! I'd recommend you try to check if the HDD will appear on another computer. I'd also suggest you reinstall all WD Software you have installed . Afterwards, attempt to plug the WD My Passport to the computer again and see if it will get recognized as a new device.

For further assistance on this sensitive matter, I'd advise you to get in touch with our Customer Support.

I'd also take a look at the tutorial from our knowledge base about How to perform firmware updates on your external HDD.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
SuperSoph_WD
Welcome to the community, Andre!

This seems pretty unfortunate! :( A failed firmware update could have potentially caused corruption or drive failure on the WD My Passport! I'd recommend you try to check if the HDD will appear on another computer. I'd also suggest you reinstall all WD Software you have installed . Afterwards, attempt to plug the WD My Passport to the computer again and see if it will get recognized as a new device.

For further assistance on this sensitive matter, I'd advise you to get in touch with our Customer Support.

I'd also take a look at the tutorial from our knowledge base about How to perform firmware updates on your external HDD.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
SuperSoph_WD

Solution