[SOLVED] WD Passport not showing up in Windows.

claudiu.cristofan

Commendable
Jul 5, 2018
Greetings all,

First time here, will try to explain as fast/brief as possible.

WD Passport, worked fine until I messed up. Forgot the password, had 5 failed attempts. Got a warning saying that I should not attempt a 6th time and instead I should safely disconnect it and connect it again, and, in doing so, I get another 5 attempts.
I did just that, entered the correct password, got the "Your drive is now Unlocked" message but the drive itself was not accessible. When I tried to open the "F:" drive (which normally after unlocking changes it's name from "F:" to "WD Passport...") did not change it's name. I double click it, and after 10-15 seconds I get an error, saying that I can't access it.

Now things get from Bad to Worse as we go on...

After trying some solutions found on the internet, changes started happening.

1. The drive itself "F:" does not show up in My computer anymore.
  2. In Device Manager, the WD Passport has a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in the middle, and is listed under "Other Devices", tried looking for updates, no luck.
  3. In Disk Management, it asks me right away to initialize the disk, tried both (MBR and GPT), no luck, error message "Data error (cycling redundancy check)"

What I did manage to do is remove the password requirement.

I don't want to erase/format it because there are important files there that are irreplaceable.

I don't have any more ideas...

Best regards,
Claudiu